Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What I love about living in Utah!

(It's pretty sad when at five a.m. I notice the moon shining shadows on my bed through the trees outside my window and get taken away by how much I love it when that happens and then I get caught up in how if I lived in other, more densely populated areas, I would really miss that and then mere words compel me to jump out of bed and write because they can no longer stay still in my head.)


What I love about living in Utah:

(yes, I'll admit, this post is, just in some itty bitty teeny tiny way, a bit inspired by my desire to get beyond my initial gut response to certain comments made during this lively little conversation.)

I am completely qualified to write this because one, I actually live in Utah and two, I grew up elsewhere, so I have a frame of reference from which to make a comparison.

This post and its comments are intended to be positive. We could all write the post about what's not to love (but hasn't that been done to death already?). It's not perfect. There are, shall I say, certain oddities and just plain obvious annoyances (not to mention sometimes flat-out horrible and hurtful behaviors as well) that can occur when you have an extremely high concentration of anything clustered all together. But I maintain (and this is supported by a lovely book called "The Ladies Auxiliary") that those are, perhaps, natural to the situation and not so much specific to the individuals themselves and they can occur just about anywhere. So, for the moment we will overlook things we may all have experienced such as judgment and perhaps even some narrowmindedness which, apparently aren't exclusive to our lovely little state--and the fact that there is no Trader Joe's nearby--and we shall focus on the positive.

Because, why not?


1. All four seasons! Some of them in any given day or one little road trip.

Yes, we have a splendid fall. Anyone notice the celestial shade of gold on the trees by that doctor's park on the corner of 5th West and 8th North? Every time I drove by this fall I just had to say a simple prayer of thanks out loud and just tell God, "Brilliant!"

Winter will soon arrive (anyone notice it's coming later and later of late?) and cover us in a quiet and peaceful blanket of snow. The swiftly tilting planet seems to slow a bit when this occurs--in spite of the madness of the holidays--and we can just walk outside or glance out the window and experience moments of tranquility.

Spring in Utah can last for months. It will begin in St. George, of course, and then just creep on up and over the state slowly--like the shadow of a meandering cloud--until you can walk through entire meadows of wildflowers during July and August up in our highest mountains.

And then there is summer. I must admit that when I succumbed to living here it was during the flood years and I had no idea I had left the lush green climate of the Pacific northwest to live in a desert. But oh what a desert! I've only been to Lake Powell once, but it--and other places such as Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, etc.--actually define the color red. And granted our mountains make look a little plain during the dry month of August, but that's only from afar. The beauty of living here is if you don't like where you're at you have only to hop in the car and in a few minutes you can be in someplace entirely different. South Fork Park anyone?


2. The mountains. Like a mother's encircling arms, they exude protection, comfort and peace. They are an actual palpable presence, even from afar. When I returned home from a year and a half in Europe I was startled by both how much I had missed them and how much I could tangibly feel them now I had returned. Living right next to the Wasatch Front mountains is beyond compare.


3. The people. These are generally good people. This isn't by any means exclusive to Utah, but that fact doesn't undermine how great it is to live in a place where the standard people are generally trying pretty hard to "conform" to is to be a good person. I have two teenage boys and there isn't a week that goes by that I don't just sit for a minute in awe of their great friends (I'm hoping my two younger kids are as lucky). I know it takes all kinds of people and you can find whatever kind of friends you are looking for wherever you go, but I am amazed at how simple it is to find a good crowd in high school and just do great things together. As a mother, I am utterly and completely thankful for that.


4. The arts. Living so close to a number of universities and with a number of talented people make it easy to experience just about any kind of great entertainment you desire. (Well, truthfully, we are a little shy on showgirls, but I'm not particularly missing that, are you?) The local theater scene is amazing. I went to see Hale Center Theater's "Jekyll and Hyde" awhile back and had to keep pinching myself to remember this was community theater. Broadway frequently comes to visit. I saw "Les Mis" and "Phantom" both here. The best Shakespeare ever! We also get some fabulous jazz and the usual suspects as far as big-named rock bands and indie bands are concerned. We've got some great art galleries not just at the universities, but also locally. I once even saw a wonderful exhibit of poetry and paintings in a Salt Lake Winery.


5. The general state of affairs. Pretty safe state to live in. We can still go trick-or-treating and play outside with our friends in our neighborhood. Again, not exclusive to Utah, but not at all the case in many other areas as well. The economy is good. Our state balances its budget. Not an extremely high crime area. Moderate cost of living. Great employment opportunities for techies, entrepreneurs and whomever. Great educational choices. Good work ethic. A decent amount of integrity (because I prefaced this with a preference for the positive I will refrain from making any snide comments about a certain location which has been through something like 14 mayors in the last 18 months). Not perfect by any means, but generally decent and good.


6. Diversity. You may laugh and ask, what diversity? But it's here. You just have to look for it. And because you have to actually look for it and make an effort to appreciate it, I maintain it's harder to take it for granted. We are not "all the same" here and Hooray! for that!


I have been here so long now I sometimes start to take it all for granted. But some time ago we went up to Sundance for dinner (oh! I failed to mention the food! Slowly, but surely we are getting some great places to eat, as well. Market Street Grill, The Melting Pot, Sundance, and a number of little divey-but-delicious ethnic-food restaurants, too) with some friends. She is a former runway model; he is a producer for huge shows--rock concerts, car shows, etc. They left behind an entirely different lifestyle as well as location when they moved here from LA. They've lived in NYC and visited all over the world--Milan, Paris, etc. How they ended up in a tiny house on the corner of my hood is another story entirely, but they have been around and have a lot with which to compare. And for most of the fabulous meal (I love the food at Sundance) he went on and on about how Provo of all places was the best place to live ever (of course this theory is also supported by other illustrious experts) and we have no idea how good we've got it!

I was at first surprised--you know, given he had lived in so many other wonderful places--and then pleased as I started remembering what I love best about living here and I concur!


So let's hear it from the experts, you who actually live (or have lived) here. What do you love about living in Utah?

16 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm pretty horrified by the way the comments ran on my blog and am glad you stuck up for Utah the way you did! I guess I was asking for it with that post though! Suffice t to say, I'm totally embarrassed to have kicked off such a discussion. Sorry to say I'm no expert on the matter (having only lived in Utah for 3 years for college) but I'm going to chime in anyway.

I've got to say my all-time favorite thing about living in Utah was the outdoor sports aspect. I would take these AWESOME mountain bike rides all over creation. I could hardly bring myself to turn around once I got going so I'd be gone most of the day. It's ruined biking for me anywhere else!

The whole reason I've been thinking about Utah lately is because there is a pretty good chance we are going to move back there and I wanted to cut away the crap from my argument and acknowledge that it's my own insecurities that make me uncomfortable about living there. But I hope now that I've acknowledged it I'll get over it!

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Since I can be counted on as an illustrious expert, (thanks for the link) I will to another opportunity to simply say, I have traveled quite a bit in my short life and there is nothing like Utah, for it's beauty, security and spirit.

Great post and here! here!

b. said...

And you were going on hiatus......and ROB us, your fans, of this RESPLENDENCE!! Bravo, Lady, Bravo!! (stadium clap included!)

Elizabeth-W said...

Nice job! I do love Utah, too. (I lived there for 4 years in college and then another 5 years as a real person.) As a middle-aged lady, the things that vaguely annoyed me at 23 seem very insignificant now. If I had to choose between Oregon and Utah, I'd pick Utah every time.

This is me said...

I think the thing that stands out for me about Utah is the seasons. I grew up in the tropical part of Texas and we pretty much experienced summer year round. Seriously, I'm talking hitting the swimming pool after opening Christmas presents. I'm still not huge on snow and lots of cold, but it really is peaceful and beautiful, like you said. Now that I'm living in Idaho, I am torn between being homesick for Texas or Utah. I'd be happy with either.

Bek said...

I miss Utah. It smells good.

I love all the things that you mentioned (those are the same things I would have said...).

We talk about moving back someday. For now, my husbands job keeps us on one coast or another, but we dream of Utah.

I met my last two children in Utah. Many of my favorite people live in Utah. I love that I can go to resturants and the people working there don't look like they just came from the Meth Clinic. I love the mountians. I love that the streets are wide..... I love coming to visit there.........

I always wonder if I could ever go back and live there, since I grew up there, but I think that I could...now that I have kids......

Anonymous said...

Can I comment if I have only visited Utah? I live in a pretty laid back, diverse community in TN and have had the pleasure to visit UT as one of the 45 states to which I've ventured. I love UTAH, for all the reasons(less the seasonal thing)you cited. My eldest went to BYU and I couldn't have been more happy and comfortable with her being 2,000 miles from home at the university. If it wasn't for family considerations, I would love to be a Utahite/Utahion (whatever).

LuckyRedHen said...

I have met FABULOUS people here that don't put a flame to people elsewhere, the sunsets are to-die-for gorgeous (every night from my windows), Sundance is a little slice of heaven (so tranquil) and living is clean (hardly the smell of cigarettes). I do love Washington more but I hate Utah less and less each day (doesn't mean I want to live here indefinitely --- we ARE moving back to the NW). Thanks for pointing out the reasons to LOVE this place.

Lyle said...

Pretty much in agreement with what has been said.

I miss camping (fishing). There are not very many cool places in west Texas to camp.

Millie said...

Amen on the mountains... I adore them. Um, this is kind of a backwards compliment but I love all the exclusive-to-members-of-the-Church commercials on TV and radio. It just screams YOU'RE IN ZION to me. ;)

sue-donym said...

So glad you haven't left us on hiatus. Beautiful post.
Provo, how do I love thee... let me count the ways...
I think I may just do my own blog on that. coming soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

JandB said...

so, the only other place i've lived is Idaho, and it is so similar to utah. But, there are some things that i miss a lot about utah when i'm away. that would be, like you said, the mountains! there are the grand tetons up here, but they are so far away, they don't compare to the close up mountains we have in provo. i love being able to look outside and just see gorgous mountains no matter what season it is. but i would have to say that fall and winter are my favorites for the mountains.

Geo said...

If there was just one day a year as beautiful as yesterday was, that would be reason enough for me to love Utah. It's fun to sneak in days of gardening in November!

Something else I love besides the weather is the relative absence of so many things that I found objectionable growing up in a military town. Use your imagination.

I agree wholeheartedly with all your reasons, cw, and applaud your amazng "comeback." What an enjoyable post!

Utah, you betcha!

Elizabeth said...

I read your post and was thinking about it as I was lying down to sleep last night. I have grown up here and absolutely love it. I have to agree with everything that you said, especially about the mountains and the arts. I was thinking that I also love the local singer songwriter alliance, local artists, etc. I also love the recreational outlet that it is, and the striking beauty that this state can brag about. You can have all the mountain sports, and then drive 3 hours south and be in complete desert with the gorgeous red rock. I love it because of the peace that resides here, the smells through each season, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for providing a chance to think about it.

Carina said...

I have lived all over: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, the East coast, and traveled extensively. My husband is from Florida and Pennsylvania.

We love it here so, so much. The other half refuses to move even though we could make a lot more money living someplace else.

I have met people from all over the world while living here. I love that in my neighborhood we have families from Korea, Japan, Uganda, Brazil, Ecuador, Scotland, and half a dozen other countries.

I love that you don't have to be scared to send your kid to public school. That my child's principal will probably not be shot to death or his teachers regularly stabbed (as my husband's were.)

I've never lived any place with a better selection of radio stations. I can choose any cuisine I want for dinner.

I can pick up fresh tortillas from Tenoch market, dulce de leche at the Argentinian store, rice noodles and fish sauce from the Asian grocery, or grab a burger from Brand X. I can get fry sauce in a restaurant.

I've never been to a monster truck rally or hunted animals. I can't remember the last time we ate jell-o salad. We don't own guns but we do own lots of modern art--and we vote blue.

Some of the most amazing people I know have proudly called Provo home. They are educated, involved in community and the world around them. I know as many people who married in their 30s as their teens or 20s. I was married six years without kids and never had a single busybody ask me when we were going to have them. I've never had people comment on the fact that we only have one child and are in our 30s. I work outside of the house and so do other moms I know.

People who consistently denigrate Utah, especially Provo, have never lived here, not for real. I have been to brilliantly colored homes, and funky interiors as well as streamlined americana. All my friends decorate their homes in totally different ways.

Every place has their judgemental idiots; every location has its bad sides. I'm just so happy that I can recognize the beauty of living here. Utah is what you make of it. If you don't like it, get the Hell out.

(oh yeah, and I swear too.)

Chemical Billy said...

Hmm, this was a mighty interesting post. I grew up in Provo, and now live in San Francisco.

I don't know that I would ever move back, but that's partly a matter of feeling like 20 years in one spot is enough. My husband finds the culture fascinating and (wait for it) exotic.

I love the smell of the desert, and once in a while I crave fry sauce. Some of the coolest people I will ever know live there.

And, BTW, I live right in the city of San Francisco, and kids trick-or-treat in most neighborhoods. Bad things do happen here (they happen everywhere), but people talk to each other on the bus, and my colleague recently had her lost wallet mailed to her intact and full of cash.