Friday, November 17, 2006

Looking for a few good women...


Don't know if you're familiar with The Festival of Trees, but it's a local charity event from which 100% of the profits benefit children who have been patients at Primary Children's Medical Center and their families. The money goes directly to pay for their charity care. The reason I'm involved is because there are many good causes out there, but this is the only one I know of where 100% of the money goes to the kids.

The Festival is great fun to attend and is a wonderful way to kick off the Christmas season. If you've never been, I suggest taking your family and spending a couple of hours walking through the aisles of trees, wreaths, gingerbread houses and such.

If you are so inclined, however, the Festival is also in serious need of more volunteers. Here's what's needed:

What: Hosts and Hostesses. The job entails wearing a skirt for a few hours (only if you're female), driving up to the South Towne Expo Center, standing in a huge room filled with Christmas everything and occasionally smiling at complete strangers. You may have to answer a few questions (the answers which should be explained to you as you arrive), you might have to give someone directions to the restroom. You do get to enjoy the beautiful surroundings, watch the faces of the children who pretty much eat this up, and feel pretty good about your time being well spent helping out a good cause.

When: The shifts are 9am-1pm, 1-4pm, 4-7pm, or 7-10pm. The event runs from Wednesday, November 29 through Saturday, December 2.
                          
Where: See above.

How: Contact me via e-mail, henfeatherz@gmail.com
I'm going up from 1 to 4 on Thursday, November 30 and would enjoy your company if you're available. If that time doesn't work for you, grab some friends and make it a girls morning, afternoon or night out. I usually go up with a bunch of friends and we work our shift then have lunch together and spend an hour or so walking through the displays ourselves. The donation of your time is your ticket in.
(disclaimer: Despite my title, we could also use men or any youth over age 16. If you work with the older youth, this would be a great service activity. Or grab your spouse and make it a date night.)

12 comments:

Lyle said...

Can't say that I'll be there...it's kind of a long trip. I have seen smaller Christmas tree venues where the money went to charities and they had quite a few beautiful trees. I wish it all the success possible this year and all those that participate.

Amazing new blog look. So jealous. I feel like I'm using a Commador 64 when everyone else is using Windows or i-mac's.

Sister Pottymouth said...

WOW!!! The new look is AMAZING!!!!!! How did you do it?

JandB said...

oh, i wish i could go to the festival of trees! but, unfortunately i'll probably be taking a test or something up at school.

i really like your new blog look. at first i thought i had typed the wrong URL address, but then i realized you had changed it. it looks great!

b. said...

I am curious as to how you got started with this particular cause. It is a great one, the trees are phenomenal. I love when people I already think are great (even though I haven't met them yet) DO something even greater to make me like them more.....thanks for volunteering and setting an example.

dalene said...

I've dabbled with lots of things I believe in--March of Dimes, American Cancer Society, the homeless shelter, etc.--and they're all good causes. I finally realized that I couldn't manage every good thing and wanted to choose one or two in particular.

One of my favorite aunts has been deeply involved in Festival for some 25-30 years. She tried to recruit me but I told her I couldn't do it until my "baby" was in school. As soon as that happened she pounced and I've been hooked ever since.

Besides being aware how amazingly lucky we are to have such a state of the art facility so close, I also love that because everything is donated--even the rent for the building--every penny raised at this event goes to the kids.

Of course probably like many of you, I also have a personal connection there because of friends and family whose children have been patients there at one time or another.

dalene said...

p.s. My good friend-I've-never-yet-met Lianne designed my new template. I'm quite excited about it really.

Thanks Lianne!

Geo said...

cw and lianne, the new look is beautiful. careful, comfortable, quilted warmth and interesting colors and a lovely balance--so perfectly you as i know you thus far, cw.

as for the cause, it sounds like such a nice experience. i'd love to jump on this bandwagon, especially now that i've decided to take an extended break from being a voting poll manager and am sort of on the lookout for another cause to attach to, but i'm afraid the timing's bad for me this year. we're going to be doing long days and nights of collating, sewing, and binding through the early part of the season, so we can (hopefully) get the set of norris books out in time for holiday sales. after that, i'm going to collapse for a while and quietly enjoy what's left of december. ahhhhhh.

Susy Q said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Feel free to stop by anytime!

LuckyRedHen said...

I'll ask hubby if he can hang with the kids so I can go with you from 1-4 on Thursday, November 30 then go out for dinner after seeing the trees (I threw that in for good measure). He's at a movie right now so I have to ask tomorrow but DON'T LET ME FORGET!

dalene said...

Would love for you to come! I might have to bow out on dinner, however--unless it's later--as my activity day girls are coming up to meet me there. I'll have my people call your people and we'll work it out.

Emmie said...

If I lived in Utah, I would volunteer in a second! I love the Festival of Trees, and it's been years since I've attended. There are so many things I miss about Christmas in our lovely Deseret.

P.S. The new look is divine!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I haven't read the post yet because my eyes are so bedazzled by the new look around here. Wow!