Tuesday, November 28, 2006

In the midst of aftermath...

There is this great scene in one of my favorite movies, "Twister" in which, in the midst of tornado aftermath, the protagonist, Jo, finally confronts her "issues" with tornados.

"You've never seen it miss this house, and miss that house, and come after you!" (Hint: it's not about the house, it's really all about her father).


I feel that way about Cancer. (Hint: it all started with my father, too).


Jo devoted her entire life to chasing and, essentially, fighting tornados.


In truth, I, myself, am much better at running away, getting distracted--avoiding real problems and issues. But in my other life--the imaginary one in which I, too, am a protagonist, and I spend my days being really, really good at something significant--I am a storm chaser. At least I like to think I would be.


I watched Cancer take my Dad before we even knew he had it. Before I ever got to say goodbye. And a woman who was at that time the same age I am now found herself wondering how in the world she was going to raise and support six kids--four of them boys--all by herself.


I watched it take this friend and that friend. Or that friend's baby.


Tayson. His family had just moved into our neighborhood only months before. I remember meeting Alice and thinking what great friends we could be. I really, really liked her. I remember seeing her walking Tayson down the road in his stroller. She told me he wasn't feeling too well. I noticed he had a bad bruise on his face. We talked about the usual things one discusses over childhood illness. Maybe he had an ear infection. Who was her pediatrician. I hoped he felt better soon.

Later that day another woman from the neighborhood me asked how everything was. "Fine," I said. "You haven't heard?" she asked. Turned out Tayson didn't have an ear infection. He had leukemia. L-E-U-K-E-M-I-A. My world stopped still. And I couldn't even begin to imagine.

They had hardly even moved in, didn't really know a lot of people. And now they were practically living at Primary Children's Hospital. I remember one night we drove up to Salt Lake to see them. I had the hardest time walking through the halls at PCMC. I still can hardly make myself walk through those halls (don't get me wrong--PCMC is a wonderful place and we are so blessed to have it. I just can't handle thinking about the anguish of those kids--their mothers, their fathers, their entire families--must go through with whatever it is that brings them there. I know miracles happen there. But I also know there is a great deal of pain). Somehow at the end of the visit, we ended up with tickets to the ball game. Alice and Barry were glad someone could use them. We had a great time; but somehow it seemed wrong to be having a good time while they were left behind to witness the constant suffering of their son.

I remember the day Tayson died. I tried to imagine my friend rocking her baby in her arms while the people in the mortuary were waiting for her to release him. How does one ever let go?

I remember the night of the viewing. I had to make myself go. I didn't think I could go in. But I made myself go in. I was blessed to understand that the too-small body lying in the casket wasn't Tayson anymore and that Tayson was OK now.

I remember serving in the kitchen on the day of Tayson's funeral. Alice came in to say goodbye. She hugged me long and hard. I didn't want to let her go. I wanted her to know she wasn't alone. But mothers with empty arms are alone.


Another Alice. When I was just starting out, I used to call her and seek her advice for a number of homemaking and cooking and baking issues. She helped me sew something for one of my kids once. She had the best laugh and was so much fun at girls' camp. I will never forget the night at some Stake RS dinner when we sat together and she was telling us about her back pain and how frustrated she was that no one could seem to help her. She wasn't complaining. She was explaining.

Within about a month she was dead from bone cancer.

She had two girls still home.

Who do they talk to about their hopes, their fears, their broken hearts? Who will help them with their hair and their dresses on their wedding days?


Meridith. You may have read about her. She was diagnosed with leukemia on Valentine's Day. The gift of marrow from the bones of her twin sister saved her eventually, but did Cancer really spare her? No. The radiation used to beat it back broke her body and her mind. She suffers still. "I'll just turn it over to God," she says as she wears herself out serving her husband, her family and her every neighbor.


Sue. I don't even know how to describe Sue. My favorite picture of her is one in which she is wearing sunglasses and holding some great big novel in her hands. I think she has a beach hat on, too, maybe. She was likely wearing a bathing suit and sitting lakeside or poolside somewhere or on a boat. Sue had a hard life. But she was frank and real. I liked that about her. She helped me refine my pie-baking skills and gave me the recipe for the best sour cherry pie ever. When life gives you sour cherries by all means make a dessert out of them.

Breast Cancer. I remember her stopping her car to talk to me as I walked down her street and she was returning from yet another round of chemo. She looked great, but she felt like hell. I will never forget how her co-workers at NuSkin worked her shifts for her so she could keep her medical insurance.

Sue finally found peace at the end. Her funeral--mere days before Christmas--remains one of the best I ever attended.


Adrienne. It always seemed to me as if Adrienne and her three beautiful girls had stepped right out of a Jane Austin novel and right into our little old neighborhood.

No one kept Christmas like Adrienne. She kept it the whole year through. Her house was decorated for it for months before and after. But it wasn't mere decoration. She emodied the Spirit of Christmas. It was said of her at her funeral something to the effect that she and her equally amazing husband must've had input into the creation of the Garden of Eden for it to have truly been as lovely as it was. Adrienne made the world a more beautiful place.

Ovarian Cancer. I remember trying to help her during her last months. I never had any trouble finding women willing to come to clean her lovely home. The problem was more Adrienne wearing herself out trying to clean it before we came to clean.

I remember sitting by her bedside sometime during her last couple of weeks. I hugged her and held her hand. She was in so much pain. But so gracious and loving. My memory of these moments is kind of blurry. I think it's both too beautiful and too painful to recall in sharp focus.

I have never known--nor will I ever--anyone quite like her.


The list goes on: My Aunt Pat: She survived breast Cancer some 20 years ago, but another one eventually took her. She'd been widowed from my uncle since I was a baby. Now my cousins have no parents.

My Grandma Jacobs: Breast Cancer. My Aunt Darlene: Breast Cancer. My friend Laurie: Thyroid Cancer. Just to name a few. They are survivors. Cancer didn't miss them entirely, but it didn't take them away, either.


And now I just learned that Cancer has chosen to go after my neighbor through the back fence: Stage three testicular cancer.

A good man. A husband and father. With kids the age I remember being when it went after my dad.

I am trying to imagine being this family. Being the wife who must be sore afraid. Being the four kids who probably have no idea what this all really means for them. Being the provider of a family and wondering not only what lies ahead for you, but what will happen to your family? Feeling alone because although we may offer prayers and sympathy, no one really knows what it's like to be them right now.

I want to help. But what can I do? What can I say?

There are no words for this.

I know.





update: Cory has finished chemo and has tested clear of cancer. We hope and pray his remission continues.

Just like at the end of the movie, sometimes the twister will pass by your house and leave you all still standing.

15 comments:

Bek said...

So sorry.

We are in our second year with my MIL and her breast cancer. That is really the only person I know right now that has it (knock on wood...).

It is scary stuff and my heart goes out to the family. I am also sorry you lost your dad. That is a really difficult hurdle to cross.

b. said...

Sad post indeed. So sorry for your losses. Me too. My mom-Malissa, age 43-breast cancer. My uncle-Lloyd, age 52-Leukemia.
Cancer Sucks.

Lyle said...

Hancart pioneers. How many were lost to death's icy grip? How many that survived became better aquainted with God? The death of a loved one is truly one of life's biggest challenges.

I listened to President Hinckley, Elder Worthlin, and Elder Nelson speak of the passing of their eternal companions and wept with them. Being with a loved one for a longer period of time does not make it any easier to be left behind.

Being a friend to rely on is probably the best thing you can do.

My biggest fear is losing my wife. My second biggest fear is losing one of my children. I do not fear for them in death, but I fear for my mental and social stability.

JandB said...

i wish i knew these people better, but i didn't know them very well, even though they lived so close to me. i've never had someone very close to me die and i know it will happen but i definitely don't look forward to it.

Elizabeth-W said...

I read your post last night and was so full of mixed up thoughts I couldn't compose anything coherent.
I don't know what it means, but I have known people like you, that have had soo many losses, close personal losses. Then there are people like me who have yet to lose anyone truly close to them. It seems cosmically unfair, that that sort of grief should be spread around a bit more evenly.
My dad's cancer surgery has been over a couple months, and it's almost as if it never happened. He's feeling fine, in some ways better than before. And then I read a post like this and I realize how much time I spend in denial. Not just that he has cancer because if you're gonna have it, his is the kind to have, but more that my parents like everyone else's parents since the beginning of time, are going to die, and probably before I do.
You know how when you're pregnant the first time, and people tell you 'you're going to be so tired; you'll be amazed at how much you love this child' stuff like that and you think you understand, but it isn't until you've had the baby that you really start to comprehend what they meant.
That is what I think grief must be like, that until we have had to do it personally, we can't truly empathize.

Millie said...

I can't think of anything wise to add, but I'm thinking of you and wishing you well today.

jake roi said...

I think we're all affected by cancer one way or another. I get checked often, because I'm in a higher risk group. My fear is that one day the answer won't be "you're just fine Jake". I've lost family and friends over the years, but I to have seen the enobling that can come along with it.

I've known Cory since I was a kid when we lived in the same ward there on Grandview. His daughter L is one of TK's very best friends. His youngest boy has played baseball with/against mine.

We too are praying for all of those with Cancer, and, in particular right now, your neighbors.

Sarah said...

It's amazing that with all the medical problems we've overcome, we can't seem to figure out the major killer, cancer. I can only hope that 50 years from now we'll have to explain what cancer was to our grandkids. I have to hope that since my husband's family has cancer ALL over the place. We find out at Christmas whether or not my husband's dad lives or dies from his. It all seems to random but it's comforting to at least know what awaits us on the other side.

dalene said...

Jake, how on earth did you know I was talking about Cory?

You're exactly right. Cancer touches all of us whether through family or friends.

Three of those women I mention live on the same street. Four others I mention live within two streets of that particular street.

When I called the Huntsman Cancer Center to ask if this was something we should be concerned about the response I go shocked me. They told me that that percentage of cancer victims was not at all unsual and there was no reason to be concerned about a cluster of cancer for a particular reason.

Totally random.

Totally within the normal parameters of cancer distribution.

That's scary.

LuckyRedHen said...

Holy smokes.

dalene said...

If you are mad at cancer (a great quote I seem to remember coming from cjane a while back) and want to do something about it, here's an idea. There is someone who does need our help. See Bek's blog for more info. This is the event.

Also, let's recommit ourselves to eat our veggies and lots of fruits, as well as whole grains. Get some exercise. Eat well and live well. Laugh!

The statistics for getting cancer are startling. But the statistics on how you can lower your risk factors are amazing as well. It starts with simple things: I'm trying to eat an apple a day, which, I learned, can lower my risk of some cancers by as much as 30%!

jake roi said...

Compulsive,

I confess, that I know your neighborhood very well, and was clued in when you posted pictures at the beginning of the school year (as in - hey I know that street!). I lived on 1050 north for much of my childhood. (thats the first 2 in the 2+2).

The second "2" of the equation came because we know Cory and his family well. And, though it was a small jump to the conclusion, it was a logical one given that I knew he'd just learned a couple of weeks ago about the cancer, and what type it was. (2+2=4) I didn't know you were back yard neighbors, but I did know you were only one street away, so there you go.

I need to do more to limit my possibility of cancer, but I'm so grateful for the information we do have about reducing risks.

JandB said...

i hope that we find the causes of cancer and how we can treat it more affectively soon. it kills way too many people. Scientists have completed the map of the human genome, so hopefully with that information they can figure out better ways to cure all types of cancers.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Our family has experienced the ravages of skin cancer and testicular cancer also. For some reason this has happened in your life statistically more than the average person. Have you ever considered what a stalwart comforting human being you are, and that God places you around these stricken people for a purpose? Not everybody has the courage to help and support and ease the suffering of the sick. You have it though.

Lorien said...

ugh. yuck. still working through this one.