Thursday, March 29, 2007

Some people marry axe murderers...

Me? Apparently I just married Earl.

Last night for the weekly church youth activity several fearless leaders disguised themselves for a scavenger hunt at the local mall. They were supposed to dress up and then wander the mall aimlessly while groups of energetic teenagers roamed the mall and tried to get up their nerve to approach anyone looking out of the ordinary and ask for their signature. Imagine my surprise when my husband came up with this great get-up. The kids all thought he looked like a guy whose name is Earl. You know the one.

B., who happened to be at my house delivering what might possibly be the best salsa in the world (Thanks b.!), agreed.

Throughout our married life my husband has been told he resembles a number of celebrities: Mel Gibson, Mark Harmon, Huey Lewis, Steve Erwin, and now Earl. (The Mel Gibson thing occurred a number of years ago whilst he was one of the few, the proud...the only handful of male students in the elementary ed. program at BYU. I tried to tell him the two female students in his program who told him that were hitting on him. But he didn't believe me.) He also had a MacGyver stage, which was one of my personal favorites.





Here are the other leaders. Can you spot the city water director? He cooks up a mean dutch oven dinner. Just ask the mayor.

16 comments:

Lyle said...

Getting the adults to dress up and hang out at the mall waiting for the youth to come find them...that is soooooo 2006. ;-)

Our youth had fun with it. I'm glad to see there were some good sports in your ward [I wasn't one for my ward].

The one to the far left totally looks like a guy I used to work with [sans the wig]

Glad to see that Willy wasn't to busy with his ranch to come support your youth activity.

~j. said...

2006? Lyle, we had our youth do that in 2002 -- it's now vintage and prefectly acceptable.

~j. said...

perfectly

Sister Pottymouth said...

I wish I could have seen them in person. I, however, spent the evening at the Provo Tabernacle listening to the elementary school choirs from Provo School District. They were great!

So does Willy the water director have to pay his taxes like the rest of us?

pflower10 said...

THAT IS RICH!!!! Ohhh D, You need to let us all know this kind of stuff is going on so that we can all be there to mock, I mean see them in person.

Lyle said...

~j- thanks. way to rain on my rain.

b. said...

Your husband was awesome!
I had a huge crush on MacGyver.
Our visit was great, I loved seeing you and your kids. My daughter said, "Mom, I think I've found a new friend."
Glad you liked the salsa.

Ms. Julie said...

Thanks for posting the pic! My girls had such a great time, they were spilling over each other trying to tell me all about it.

~j. said...

It's okay, Lyle. It was fancy in '06, too. ;)

i i eee said...

That's a great 'stache he's sportin'!!

Special K ~Toni said...

He really does look like Earl! I love that show!

Anonymous said...

Your husband scares me shitless. Just for the record. I'm sure he's a great guy (after all, he's married to you), but you'd never see me more respectful than in his presence. Maybe it's just the Earl aura, but all the same. He just radiates Strict-Dad-of-the-Girlfriend vibes.

Elizabeth-W said...

That sounds like a great activity! Super photos, too.

dalene said...

Dem--I am so amused by your response. I know exactly what you mean. (I had one of those dads.)

But my husband is a much-loved third-grade teacher at a local elementary school. He's the kind of guy who regularly gets invited to his students' graduations, missionary farewells and homecomings, wedding receptions, etc. (remember, they were only eight years old when he had them).

One of my favorite things about this man who has you trembling in your shoes is watching grown boys (Seniors) run toward him down the halls of the local high school with their arms wide open and yelling "Mr. R! Mr. R!"

Bek said...

Sweet. Our ward does this too but they do it in Downtown Palo Alto and half of the people end up dressing like homeless people and blend in with the REAL homeless people and the youth must find them. There is often drama involved. I am sure that the real homeless of the town head for the hills when they sniff out this activity.

I bet your husband is awsome. You are so it stands to reason...

wendy said...

Does the moustache tickle?