Friday, March 16, 2007

C is for Cookie and that's good enough for me!


With fond recollection of this fine day:


...and a burning need to make this happen again (only with cookies this time), I ask you this pertinent question:


What's your favorite cookie recipe?


Don't limit yourself to sugar cookies, but if someone has anything remotely like the buttery perfection I had to purchase again at the Provo Bakery this morning, do tell.
Please. My new life ambition is to create a comparable cut-out cookie.

In the meantime, I guess you'll have to settle for these:


Giant Ginger Cookies

4 1/2 c. flour
4 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. molasses
3/4 c. coarse sugar

Stir together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Beat shortening until softened. Add sugar and beat till fluffy. Add eggs and molasses; beat well. Add half of flour mixture. Mix. Stir in remaining flour mixture. Shape dough into 2" balls for giant cookies; smaller if desired. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.


...and these:

Pumpkin Cookies

2 sticks butter (1 cup)
3 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2-5 cups flour
1 lg. can pumpkin
1 bag gourmet milk chocolate chips
1 c. chopped pecans

Cream butter. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla; mixing after each addition. Stir in dry ingredients. Mix. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes at 375.

(Both of these recipes make bakery-class cookies.)

15 comments:

luckyzmom said...

"The Joy of Cooking"-Rich Roll Cookies recipe. Let me know if you don't have "Joy" and I'll write it out for you.

carrie said...

peanut butter cookie with a Hershey's kiss on top.

Special K ~Toni said...

Those look scrumptious! My 'secret' cookie recipe requires 1 egg, 1 stick of butter and 1 bag of Betty Crockers Chocolate Chip cookies mix!

Martha Stewart?? Nope, not me!

dalene said...

Well, I have joy. I just don't have "The Joy of Cooking." So if you don't mind I'd love to have you write it out for me. Thanks!

Lyle said...

I'll be looking for that care package in the mail.

Elizabeth-W said...

I love to try to make cookies but they never turn out super great. I have a molasses cookie that has done well:
1 C packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup crisco
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
cooking spray
Combine brown sugar, and shortening in a large bowl; beat with mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups and level with a knife (if you just scoop it out of the bag you'll have too much flour). Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt), stirring with a whisk. Add flour mix to sugar mix; beat at low speed until just blended. Cover and freeze 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375.
Place water in a small bowl. Place granulated sugar in another small bowl. Lightly coat hands with Pam. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Dip one side of each ball in water; dip wet side in sugar. Place balls, sugar side up, 1 inch apart on baking sheets coated with Pam. Bake for 7 or 8 minutes depending on your oven. (I bake them at 350 for about 6 minutes, but the recipe called for 375 for 8 mins.). Remove from pan and cook on wire racks.

I made up something no one, NO ONE can screw up--rice crispy bars, but with a cup each of pistachios and cranberries. (Yes, they were for Xmas.) They were really good.

Carina said...

My secret amazing sugar cookie recipe? Maybe I'll email it to you--sssshhhh!

dalene said...

I should be so lucky.

pflower10 said...

Otis Spunkmeyer.............you know what I'm talking about.

luckyzmom said...

Rich Roll Cookies

Cream:
1 c. butter
2/3 c. sugar
Beat in:
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
Combine and add:
2 1/2 c. sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Chill dough 3-4 hours before rolling. For best results use as little flour as possible when rolling out dough. (I divide the dough into managable thirds and save the scraps to roll last)Preheat oven to 350'. Bake from 8-10 minutes until the edges are slightly brown.

Enjoy!

dalene said...

Thanks luckyzmom!

Geo said...

I make a mean Scottish shortbread, but I'll have to hunt for my recipe(s) since I'm not allowing my inner Cookie Monster to play in the kitchen much these days . . . .

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I swear by this cut out cookie recipe. It tastes really good, and when you roll it out between sheets of waxed paper, it rarely sticks and messes up the shape. Plus the icing is tres magnifique! When I'm making themed cookies like Easter eggs, butterflies, etc., I paint it on the cookies with little plastic paintbrushes.

Delilah's Frosted Cut Out Cookies.

dalene said...

Thanks e-dub and ewl, too. (ewl--painting with little plastic paintbrushes? How very Martha of you. I'm impressed!)

geo--I'll be waiting. I'm sorry about your inner Cookie Monster being a little held back theses days.

Bek said...

I love the chocolate kind w/ a marshmallow melted on top and then chocolate frosting.. I add toasted coconut... here is the link...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1610,144191-227199,00.html

I don't do the walnut... but they are still yummy....