Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Real moms eat plastic pizza...

(Thanks for the tag conqueso.)

...and say "please" and "thank you" at pretend tea parties.


Real moms know how to laugh when they could very well cry!


Real moms (with teenagers) promise themselves they will never curse their own kids with kids just like them. Because now they know what it feels like when what goes around comes around.


Real moms DO bake cookies!


Real moms learn to be prepared for whatever's next when the neighbor across the street begins her sentence with, "I just thought you should know"...


Real moms say "I'm sorry" when they lose their cool.


Real moms get real with their daughters.


Real moms will march right down to the principal's office when necessary. And let it be their child's fault. At least when it really is.


Real moms know how to appreciate the simple things in life. Even when it means being tolerant of creative play. And knowing long-awaited appreciation is a fleeting thing.

Real moms learn to find contentment.

Real moms--at least on a good day--realize they are not completely responsible when their kids grow up and need therapy. Because sometimes kids just come that way.

Real moms love madly, deeply, truly and no matter what. At the end of the day they know that no matter what else they've done with their time, the most important and relevant accomplishment has been to love.

It doesn't get much better than that!


If you can read this, "Tag! You're it!" Either add a "real moms..." line in the comments section or write your own post. If you post send me a link and I'll post it right here!

Players: Daredevil Mom

(more links in the comments)

31 comments:

Bek said...

I haven't put mine up yet, but that is a great one!!!

b. said...

I loved it!
You are the epitomy of real mom.
I wanna be you.

dalene said...

Lest you be deceived, I guess I should've added the line I deleted. It read something like this, "Real moms try not to let it wound them too deeply when their 11-year-old daughter "runs away" because she would rather live with one of the most dysfunctional families in the neighborhood than with her real mom."

Of course that was yesterday...

b. said...

Why do girls have to be so difficult?

Carrot Jello said...

Real moms know how to link stuff. Fake moms don't. Wait...are you calling me a fake? *runs off crying*

sue-donym said...

I love that you are a "real" mom. It was so fun reading all of those back posts.

You are my hero.

Carina said...

Real Moms can look past the shock and awe to take a picture (it will last longer.) Real moms are also really good at counting.

dalene said...

That's hysterical! Why am I not yet reading this blog? Thanks for the links.

(I'm still wondering how--and why--the dog food got into the Parmesan cheese can.)

Jennifer B. said...

Loved it! (Your kids are SOOOO cute!)

Geo said...

A real mom knows that mothering doesn't stop when her child turns 18—in fact, it never stops for her, not even at the conclusion of her own life.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Wow...what an incredibly well written post. I did something similar once and it sure feels good to go back and look at it again. =)

dalene said...

Thanks jennifer b.

geo--Yes!

I remember and love kimberly's mom post.

Jennifer B. said...

Sometimes Real Moms have conversations like this

Special K ~Toni said...

Real moms sometimes have migraines and use all their energy for a 'blog fix'.

I like it, but just can't do it right now! :(

dalene said...

Feel better soon, Toni!

QueenScarlett said...

LOVE this post. You are a PHENOMENAL Mom. Your kids... are adorable. Teenage girls terrify me... ;-) When I find some time tonight...i think I'll do one too... it feels good to think over things you do... ;-)

dalene said...

I thought of you queen and wanted to say something to the effect of "Real moms write down their kids' stories. So they will never be lost or forgotten."

Rhonda Sloan said...

Real moms put others first most of the time, but still put themselves first some of the time.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

"And let it be their child's fault."

Oh Amen to that!

Jennifer B. said...

I just finished reading ALL of the Mom links. What fun! Thank you CW!

i i eee said...

Not a real mom yet...but great post. Dang, those are some cute kids! Even the teenagers!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Real moms let their kids indulge in a 'whatever you can find in the pantry' dinner every once in awhile.

You're truly a real mom, CW. A real, funny mom.

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your site after somehow stumbling across the Hollywood Flakes site - and read your rebuttal on why living in Utah is fab. Could definitely relate to both sides!

Stuck around to read more of your bloggity goodness. ;)

Girl con Queso said...

I love it.

Sarah said...

Real moms really do feel better when their babies gives them a kiss to make their ouch go away.

Unknown said...

Fantastic post. Only at my house, real moms eat plastic doughnuts. Good on the calories, not great on taste...

Ms. Julie said...

I took the tag. Thanks for making me think. :)

Melody said...

Real moms are also moms to their not-real-but-might-as-well-be sisters.

You are as real as they get. Love the post. Love you.

wendy said...

I am in love with your family! Thanks for such a lovely post. I want to take the tag, but it will take me a couple days.

I found your blog via Millie!

dalene said...

Welcome Kerflop!

Welcome Wendy! I'll watch for your post and link it here.

tracey clark said...

Amen sister...you speak great truths! I appreciate every single one you listed. And I am inspired.