Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Dear Santa, Part I:

...this letter was inspired by my annual reading of the book featured at left: "Don't Bite Me, I'm Santa Claus," by Tom Plummer.



Dear Santa,

Hi, it's me. I'm feeling sort of sad this year because my last child is trying to tell me that you just aren't true. I'm trying just as hard to remind him that you are, of course. I mean
really! (And my friend--who is also the mother of his best friend--has threatened to cut out his tongue if he says a word about this to her daughter.)

I used to believe my life would be a bit easier when my kids all "grew up." But now I think I was wrong. I don't care if arriving at this stage means I can wrap all the presents weeks ahead of time and won't have to stay up till 1 or 2 or later to get all the surprises ready (we both know I will wait till the last minute anyway!).

Remember how when I was young I always let Christmas become a bit overshadowed by my selfishness? I'm so sorry about that now. I'm sure a good part of that was because I had real issues over having a birthday right before Christmas. You have to admit I did kind of get gypped in that regard. It is the bane of all December-born: receiving the exact same presents everyone was giving to
all their friends that year and hearing, "Here. This is for your birthday and Christmas." And of course there were never to be any birthday parties that close to Christmas either. My mom tried to plan one for me once, but I was so worried about everyone who didn't come I failed to have a great time with those few who did come. My bad. I used to get pretty worked up over having birthday gifts wrapped in Christmas paper all the time too. My mom still thinks that's a big deal to me, but just between us, I'm really so over that. I'm really over all of it now. And gratefully so.

The cool thing that happened to me was I had my own kids. Without ever realizing it, I kind of lost myself in the magic of helping you make their Christmases something special and I no longer had any time to be worrying about whether or not my birthday would be special. And somehow that made
everything more special.

Now I realize that this really
is the most wonderful time of the year not only to celebrate Christmas, but also to have a birthday. Who else gets to celebrate the day they were born surrounded by skies donned with twinkle lights, wonderful wreaths and garlands, the spicy smell of wassail, tender tidings of comfort and joy and the sweet sounds of carols to our King? How cool is that?

So I just wanted to let you know,
I still believe. And of course December the 24th will still find me helping you out--probably still frantically and much later than I should. And while I may feel a little sad to recognize childhood waning in my growing-up kids, I'll also be a little happy in my hopes that the best part of their "childhood" still awaits them. And I will be praying that each of them will be wise enough--regardless of age--to let the child in him or her guide them to the best parts of Christmas, and really, the best parts in their lives.

Happy Christmas!


Love,

D~

20 comments:

JandB said...

my mom does the same thing and wraps the presents all late at night the night before. we usually help her, but we just wrap the presents that aren't for us. we always know which ones are wrapped by my dad though, i think there is some kind of hand-eye coordation thing that just isn't working for him going on.

BTW, thanks for the bridal shower! it was so fun!

luckyzmom said...

So much in common. Anniversary December 11 & birthday December 14. But, I will go you one further, I was born on my Moms' birthday. She died the day after I turned 50 and she 74.

I had one birthday party when I was 16. And when I turned 40 my husband surprised me with a cake at a friends Christmas party. I understand though because my husbands birthday is January 5th and I usually just choose between one of his Christmas girts to save for his birthday, even though I do not wrap it in Christmas wrap.

Happy Birthday!!!!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

My older kids believe only because they know it means a full stocking on Christmas morning. This keeps them in line from ruining it for the little ones.

My Melody has a birthday 9 days from Christmas. At 4, she doesn't care what'g going on as long as she gets something to open and a piece of cake shoved in her mouth. You're right. As much as I complain about toddler naughtiness, this is the easiest less demanding stage.

b. said...

Thank Heavens that last comment-er commented...I've been dying to find SOMEWHERE to earn some extra Christmas cash!
Anyway...I LOVED this post! Especially the part about having a birthday so close to Christmas.....only, I'm not over it quite yet. I just might copy you and post about it too. I love the picture of your kids and Santa.

Rhonda Sloan said...

I love this post too. For me, it is a glimpse into the future...and a wake-up call to quit looking forward to the days when my daughter is old enough to do this or that. I will cherish her for who she is right now...especially in the coming weeks. We will be celebrating our second Christmas together.

Merry Christmas and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it is special.

dalene said...

becks--the shower was a blast. thanks for getting engaged so we could throw you a party. hope you're acing your finals! drive safely home.

luckyzmom--HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

ewl--bribery works!

akinstoo--show me the money!

b.--go for it. can't wait to read your post. what day is your birthday?

rhonda--thank you! hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your sweet little girl.

This is me said...

That was a great letter to Santa. I am thoroughly enjoying my 3 1/2 year old this Christmas season. Everything is just magic to her right now. Also, we get to bribe her into good behavior by threatening her that "the elves are watching." It is great.

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!

Geo said...

You are sweet, you know that?

I've had an on-again, off-again relationship with Santa myself. Perhaps this is because I don't have kids. Perhaps it's because (as the oft-repeated family story goes) as a wee girlie I discovered and loudly proclaimed in a department store that "SANTA CLAUS HAS BAAAAAAD BREATH!!" Perhaps I'm overlooking that time a few years later that I actually SAW WITH MY OWN TWO EYES Santa and his reindeer—yeah, even Rudolph in the lead—coming down from the sky and the HEARD WITH MY OWN TWO EARS his arrival uopon my rooftop. Why do I dislike him so now? I'm really not a Bah Humbug, but I just can't get into the Santa stuff. Can we still be friends?

Geo said...

I also meant to say that if the rest of the world celebrated the real date of Christ's birth, I would be the one getting the double-duty presents. As it is, I've been shafted in the past because of finals week and tax day. I'm over that too.

QueenScarlett said...

Lovely post - as always. Hope you have a very Merry Birthday and...I love that star - did you make it??

I love believing... there's purity and innocence that we all desperately need in our lives.

CHEERS!

sue-donym said...

I tried to wish you a happy birthday on the right day, but dang blogger wouldn't let me log in.

Anyway Happy Birthday! You deserve it!

dalene said...

Sue --you're in luck. It was my anniversary on Tuesday, but my birthday isn't until the 22nd. December is all about me, you know. *smile*

~j. said...

That was a sweet letter.

You and tia could start up a therapy group: The Pain of Having Birthdays at Christmastime. Yikes.

Really, I love that letter you wrote.

glo said...

Don't let the kids get you down. Santa is real as he ever was. I believe, too.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Ok, so blogger just ate my comment. I shall attempt to recreate:

So I finally got back to blogland to read your latest post. I love your letter to Santa! You are such a great writer. You brought that Christmas spirit right in with your words.

Glo and I must share the same birthday because I was born on the REAL Christmas too. Having the same birthday as the Savior totally rocks.

You're beautiful, my friend.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Ok, so blogger just ate my comment. I shall attempt to recreate:

So I finally got back to blogland to read your latest post. I love your letter to Santa! You are such a great writer. You brought that Christmas spirit right in with your words.

Glo and I must share the same birthday because I was born on the REAL Christmas too. Having the same birthday as the Savior totally rocks.

You're beautiful, my friend.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Ok, so blogger just ate my comment. I shall attempt to recreate:

So I finally got back to blogland to read your latest post. I love your letter to Santa! You are such a great writer. You brought that Christmas spirit right in with your words.

Geo and I must share the same birthday because I was born on the REAL Christmas too. Having the same birthday as the Savior totally rocks.

You're beautiful, my friend.

La Yen said...

That is one of my favorite Christmas books--I love the whole delicious thing. And Santa is real, or you get nothing. Not a dang thing.

dalene said...

So I love that Julie told me at least three times that I am a great writer and I am beautiful!

Sister Pottymouth said...

See, I told you that Blogger sucks. I posted that comment only once. And I meant to say that GEO and I must share the same birthday, not GLO.

But I'd tell you more than three times that you are a great writer and beautiful to boot. Because you are.

Love ya!