Thursday, May 18, 2006

for bek: on living with daughters

My daughter, who's only 10, has been boy crazy for quite some time now. It is truly THE BANE of my existence. And I am scared silly about getting through the next 10 years. (Already I have often contemplated the wisdom of the Catholic concept of the convent...)


Last Christmas Suze (not her real name, but short for Suzie Q) wanted to get a present for this boy she has loved for the entire school year. I didn't encourage her, but I thought something like a candy bar might be appropriate.

One night, while I was away, she went to the mall under someone else's supervision (or lack thereof) and spent $30 on a $60 hoodie for her one true love.

Can you say "Wildly inappropriate?"

I had been home for a couple of hours before my husband casually mentioned something about it (probably anticipating, correctly, the wrath it would incur). It was late so I went in and confiscated the bag with the hoodie--making sure, of course, that she still had the receipt--and told her we'd talk about it in the morning.

Because I hoped that if I slept on it I wouldn't do her bodily harm.

And I hid the bag in my bedroom.


By the next morning I had forgotten all about it and she was up and cheerful for a change and left for school a little early and all was well.

Or so I thought.


At some point the light dawned on the reason for her cheerfulness and I went to make sure the bag was still there.

It was gone.

I marched down to the school in such a rage, screaming in my head how mad I was that she a). had bought the darn thing in the first place b). was that enamored with a boy at the tender age of 10 and c). had had the gall to boldly search through my things in order to deliberately disobey me. I was also pleading with the powers above that I would know what to do and how to handle it. (Is it OK to pray when you're that angry?)

Because, in my mind, this was that big. (And because I pretty much knew that if I personally hauled a boy out of class and demanded he return the hoodie I'd probably be in big trouble.)


Fortunately, as I marched down the halls of the school I saw a couple of people I knew, which gave me a few moments to remember to breathe again and required me to be civil enough that I had cooled down a bit before I got to her class.

I pulled Suze out of class and learned, to my greater dismay, that she had already given him the hoodie.

Fortunately, I was sane enough by that time that I didn't do anything that would've set off the alarms at DCFS and I did have a good talk with her, telling her it was an inappropriate gift and explaining that the reason I had taken it away last night was because I wanted to protect her from being embarrassed. But I was still faced with the problem of how to get the hoodie back.

I can tell you all, dear readers, that prayers are answered.

Because at that very moment the principal walked by and I--of course without even thinking--told her I had a problem that morning and was wondering if she could help me handle it. (Poor Suze, can you imagine this scene from the mind of a 10-year-old?).

Miss G- took right over and called us both into her office and said the most perfect things. She explained about what's appropriate for the giving of gifts and was so kind, patient and absolutely perfect. Then she left us in her office and went to get the boy (and the horribly wrong hoodie) and brought them in.

I am sure that Suze was just mortified.

I know I was.

So Miss G- got the hoodie back and gave it to me and said the most perfect things to the kids. She told them how it's kind of neat to be admired, launched again into the lecture on appropriate gifts, then requested that this be kept between the four of us so that no one would get hurt feelings or be embarrassed (any further, anyway).

Then she sent the boy back to class and talked with us some more. She told Suze about her own mother, who died in an accident when she was young, and said how badly she wished she could talk to her mother again. She told Suze that I was on her side and she (Suze) should be so lucky (OK, maybe I said that part about being so lucky, or at least I wanted to). She told Suze how hard it must've been for me to march down to the school that morning to do the right thing. (Yes, I was balling my eyes out by this time--I thought, wouldn't any mother do the very same thing?). She guessed that Suze would probably be a little mad at me and said that would be OK, but encouraged her to know and remember that I loved her and wanted what's best for her.

All those things that I wanted to say, but that Suze would've never have heard. You know, for all the yelling and all.

And she said it so much more beautifully than I ever could have.


So that night I took Suze to the mall and we returned the evil hoodie and then ate at the nasty eatery and enjoyed a somewhat less surly evening together.

And I hoped she learned her lesson.


But secretly I am happy about one thing.

She bought a $60 hoodie for $30!!!!!

11 comments:

JandB said...

i once baked some cookies for a boy in the 5th grade. very embarrassing event for me. for some reason it seemed like a good idea at the time, but the cookies ended up being all hard and crusty. then he shared them with his class and i heard through the grapevine that people thought they were gross! i wish someone had told me that it was a stupid idea.

i am very impressed with her ability to shop well! did she get the hoodie at Aeropostale? they usually have amazing deals.

Lyle said...

Oh what a hoot. I get a little nervous twitch in my neck whenever I contemplate my daughter's upcoming infatuation with boys. She is one strong willed girl and I could picture her doing the exact same thing.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Hooray for Miss G! I'm glad things turned out fine.

(My favorite part of the whole story is that you are secretly happy about her shopping savvy.)

La Yen said...

I still have a necklace that a boy gave me in kindergarden. This was in 1980, and I think that it was sweet. In 2010 if a kid gives Jooj a piece of store-bought jewelry I will rip his eyes out. (Because you know he has been watching Bratz and thinks she owes him.)

QueenScarlett said...

Thank goodness for Principal's like yours. And... obviously you've taught her right... that girl knows a good deal - not to mention wanting to give to those she cares about. Now just need her to figure out the apporpriate people to care about. Good luck and Bravo!

dalene said...

Oh, and I failed to mention three things--one good, one bad and one just plain funny.

1. At least she talks to me about her crushes.

Incessantly.

This is a good thing.

2. She already has a preference for "bad boys."

This is a bad thing.

3. The other day we had a conversation about a boy whose birthday party she had been invited to. It went something like this:

I really like Jordan.

I think I could marry Jordan and I could be happy with him. And I think he could be happy with me. Or I would be happy with him and he could be OK with me.

He would be a good father and earn a good living and we could have a really big house and a really good life.


Did I tell you she is only 10?

JandB said...

I remember thinking like that when i was ten, but the boy would change about every week or so. wait a second, that still happens right now.

Melody said...

You're amazing! Your willingness to "do the right thing" inspires me. Viva la Mama! (I think I'm mixing languages, but it works for me.) Since I happen to know Suze, I can say with confidence that you have nothing to worry about. I can also say that only because I am not the mom. As for the bad boys . . . have I ever told you about the motorcycle ride I took with Mike J. when I was fourteen and he thought I was sixteen . . . one of the sweetest memories of my youth!

LuckyRedHen said...

Surely you've explained to her that she wants a husband that is MUCHO happy with her (not just OK).

Good girl she's a bargain shopper.

J knows that he has no chance of me buying something that ISN'T on sale. "Mommy, is it on sale? Oh, it's not. I guess we'll have to wait." Amen, son.

As a side note, I've been casually spying the purse sections of sales (Kohl's has 75% off clearance and 50% off yellow tags) to find you a $275 bag for $2.50. I haven't found one yet but I'll let you know when I do.

dalene said...

becks--glad to know that's normal. If it's normal then I'm OK.

Mel--thanks for reminding me to look back before I think the worst looking forward--I LOVED the bad boys when I was a kid. Have a similar motorcyle experience--mine was doing 85 on a gravel road wearing cut offs and a tank top and no shoes--can you say STUPID?

Jake--you are right--there are no bad boys, but guns are good...just in case

Geo said...

One good mama cancels out a lot of bad boys in the long run. : )