Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Meaner than a junkyard dog


So I was ranting to Lorien the other day and she pre- scribed blog therapy.


And here it is:

We are junk magnets at my house. There is something about us that just screams "White Trash" "Redneck" or "Your Junk Wanted Here!"

Now don't get me wrong. I love hand-me-downs. Particularly of the clothing or furniture variety. It's almost magical. I need shorts and some dress shirts for the boys. Corrine K or Olga S magically appear with--you guessed it--shorts and dress shirts for the boys.

In fact, Olga is sent from heaven, as is her sister, the rocket scientist. Until recently I have never had to purchase anything but socks and underwear for my daughter because inevitably just as I am ready to bite the bullet and drop a few too many Hamiltons (sorry, couldn't resist) for girl clothes, Aunt Arlene sends boxes of beautiful clothes--name brand and some with the labels still attached--for my L-. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

No, I am ranting about something else entirely. Junk. Just junk. People--and I mean perfectly nice people--show up at our house on a regular basis with pure unadulterated junk and ask,

"Do you have a warm bed and some food for this poor orphaned rusty piece of scrap metal?"

"Can you take in these old warped pieces of wood?"

"Can these random pieces of something-that-once-was-useful please stay with you for awhile?"

And inevitable the kind-hearted reply is

"Yes. We'd love to help out."

This phenomenon has been taking place since we were first married. It all began, benignly enough, with old furniture. Which we badly needed and appreciated.

In fact, when people used to ask us where we lived our reply was always,

"On the way to DI."

Because people would always call us and say,

"We're going to DI. Do you want us to drop off Great Aunt Bertha's BarcaLounger on our way?"

And we'd quickly make a spot for Great Aunt Bertha's BarcaLounger in the house.

We didn't actually buy our first piece of furniture till we'd been married about eight years. How do you like that? Even then, to this day, all we've ever actually purchased by way of furniture is one sofa, one fridge, and a book shelf or two. Oh, and one of those air mattresses that now has a hole in it.

It's just the junk building supplies I really object to. Oh, and the old appliances. Is there a reason we have an old green refrigerator sitting on our side patio?

The results are piles of stuff leaning up against the side of the house. Now it's slowly winding its way around to the back. Let's not get started on the garage.

Some of it is good stuff. We do have a couple of pieces of decent furniture and some nice headboards. We really might need those. Someday.

But most of it is just junk. And I don't want it. I'll never use it. And I'm tired of looking at it, tripping over it, and wondering "Why us?"

Here is a partial inventory:

*Three used pools of various and sundry shape and volume and reason for extinction
*Enough scraps of wood (also of various and sundry shapes and sizes) to build a Shantytown Provo. Or two...
*Two used BBQ grills. With parts for at least three more. One works, but it's missing a wheel. An attachment from one left recently left its imprint in the bottom of my foot.
*Lots of lost and beat up chairs handed down from an elementary school.
*An old olive green--or was it almond brown--refrigerator.
*Parts from three bent-wood rockers in various stages of demise.
*And old bassinet that legend says my dad made with his bare hands. Now weathered from the outdoor exposure of another Utah winter.
*There was a nice stack of old logs and a bed frame. But the giver of that treasure actually came and took it back. Go figure.
*At least three or four rusty bikes that don't work. Except in emergencies.
and the list goes on...

So last Saturday I went a bit postal on the kids and made a valiant attempt to purge the junk. I swore not a child in the house would have another meal until the back deck and the back yard were cleaned up. Aside from scaring our newly-wed neighbors--who don't have kids yet, obviously--I didn't accomplish much. We did fill up the trash bucket twice and the back of our old pick-up. The deck is clean. Well, mostly clean. (Or it was until my daughter decided to take advantage of something horizontal at my house that wasn't heaped with junk and build a fort.) As is the most of the backyard. But it seems we hardly made a dent in the pile of junk. It's still a veritable mountain!

Rrrrrrrring. Ring.

"Hello?"

"My friend just tore down her barn. Could you possibly make room for some beautiful old barn wood that has fallen on hard times?"

19 comments:

JandB said...

i say just drop it off at someone elses yard, seeing if they want. Maybe spread it out over a few weeks. pretty soon your junk will be their junk. It sounds like thats what people did to you. You mustn't break the cycle.

Sister Pottymouth said...

I know a yard in Provo that collects various and sundry yard decor. (If you have any spare gnomes, I'm sure they'd love them.) We used to live down the street from what we affectionately referred to as the Puerto Rican Garage Sale house. They had chains on all of their garden gnomes, frogs, fake deer, etc. (My favorite was the frog in the bikini.) It was amazing.

~j. said...

I am currently working on my pack-rattedness. One aspect that I've been able to purge (or at least recognize and begin to work on) is my husband's belief that we somehow live in a depression era: we MIGHT need that pile of junk-fake-wood...you know...to make...something...sometime.

It's a hard habit to break. I maintain that I will become a grown-up when I am able to purchase my own furniture instead of the hand-me-down from who-knows-how-many-people couches that we currently own. Of course, I'll wait until kids stop spilling things (and occassionally peeing) on said furniture before I go get my own.

Lyle said...

It's a hard habit to break. We were married 7 years before we had our own, new couch. When we got married, the only new thing we owned was our microwave and vacuum. For the first several years we had people offer us hand-me-downs. In fact I have a nephew who is two years older than my oldest boy (who at any given moment may own 12-20 shirts, shorts, pants...) We haven't had to buy our son a new wardrobe of clothes yet because we get all the hand-me-downs from his cousin.

I thinking moving as much as we have has cut down on the big ticket hand-me-downs.

One interesting thing about Lubbock is, anything too large to fit in a dumpster can be left out in the alley. People can drive by and take it at will. The city will even pay people up to $10 a truck load for items hauled away (I'm not sure how it all works, but it happens)

dalene said...

becks: You know you're right. And you know what's sad. I do know a number of people who would love to have some of my junk.

Jules: I think I might just have room for a bikini-clad frog. In fact, I know just the place.

~j: I'm with you on waiting till the kids are a bit older. We have this bright red carpet downstairs. My husband hates it, but it is good carpet. I cannot tell you all the substances that have been spilled on it and I don't even care. Not a bit! And I love being able to be so nonchalant about that...

...because I am much less forgiving of the ballpoint-pen holes poked into the arm of my nice leather recliner.

Lyle: If I had $10 a truck load...

...I'd be rich!

Lorien said...

Guy says the DI drive is coming soon.

WATCH OUT!

Maybe you should post a "No Dumping Here" sign.

For years we were recipients of "if you can fix it, you can have it." We actually got some good stuff that way. We have a stash out behind our fence. Some really great theater chairs...if I ever get around to re-finishing them...and if I had a theater. 2 big blue food storage barrels--empty and rusting of course. I have intended to fill them with water, but just found out they used to hold peanut oil or something. Can you say rancid and gross? How's about I spring for a new barrel for water? I could continue, but you've seen some of them.

One suggestion: the Karlsven's have a huge tent in their backyard. I bet they'd never notice...

My best strategy? Wait till the hubby goes with the scouts, and start sending it to the dump. Call the High Priest group leader or something (NOT the EQP) and haul it off bit by bit. Nobody will notice, and if you haven't used it in a year, it probably won't ever happen.

Lorien said...

p.s. great blog! Laughed and laughed!

JandB said...

lo- The mystery tent holds some of dave's inventory for his business. of course i don't think i've ever seen him go inside it. so someone probably could stash a whole bunch of stuff in there without us knowing about it.

Geo said...

Oh, oh, oh, how I understand! I have two great suggestions for you that won't earn you a Hamilton but will lighten your load:

Flylady

and

Freecycle

I am currently doing landfill retrenchment in my basement.

dalene said...

Geo--I did flylady for awhile. The funny thing is the most dejunking I did was deleting the millions of e-mails I kept getting every day. But I love the concept and when I am together enough I'm going to do it again. (I just had a hard time getting past the lace-up shoes part, Birkenstock woman that I am).

And I have to tell you that the little mentions you have made about your digging out your basement have been little reminders in my head urging me to purge as well.

I also have to mention that my life right now would be more stressful and high-blood pressure inducing were it not for the eldest son, whom I have on occasion berated in this blog (mildly, of course). For the last two days I have come home to not quite so much chaos--thanks to him. He is clearing out the clutter and taking care of what he can in our family room and living room.

I am discovering anew many corners and horizontal spaces I haven't seen for ages. Of course I now have these neat little piles of things I need to go through, but still...this is most helpful. There is light at the end of the tunnel (for the moment, anyway, it's not a train) and I believe I can manage what's left.

Thank you, L-

Geo said...

I understand your Flylady response. I am also currently deleting 99.99% of her emails, but I'm all for the idea of slow and steady. (I'm generally slow and unsteady--an irksome, no-FLY combo.)

Just last night I helped with a household move of some loved ones. They are hoarders, just like you so hilariously described. (Have I owned up yet to also being a pack rat by nature? So I don't stand in judgment.) It was f-r-i-g-h-t-e-n-i-n-g to help with their frantic, chaotic, allergy-inducing exodus . . . boxing and bagging stuff nobody's seen or loved or used or acknowledged for many a year. I could see despair in their faces, but they couldn't let the stuff go. We even had to pack the dust bunnies large enough to take down a toddler . . . and burdensome thangs that will likely never be let go of but will only clutter the minds and hurt the feelings of those who will continue to live with it. We even found a sock that was welded to the wall 8" up from the floor because some spider had industriously built a wrapped it up and built a posh nest in it. Ack! I wanted to come home, rent the worlds largest, strongest shop vac and suck literally everything but the walls out of my basement and be done with my own mess.

By the way, I am still planning to bring you your special something. : )

Geo said...

(Whooee, somebody's showing signs of sleep deprivation! Sorry for the tangle of words.)

Sister Pottymouth said...

Geo, your words must have been tangled into the spider sock.

I like the concept of FlyLady, but I don't do lace-up shoes either. I figure if I have to go anywhere, it only takes me two seconds to put my shoes on, so why stress about it?

LuckyRedHen said...

Have a king size wooden headboard? I could take that off your hands ;O)

I'm proud to say that Geo has also inspired me to clean-up-my-act. Just today I have gotten together 2 huge DI buckets full of toys that seem to spew themselves all over without being played with. I've slowly made a pile of other things in the garage to haul off to DI as well.

My problem is that I think there is value in those items and I should list them on eBay to make a few bucks. Honestly though, the time it takes to clean, photograph, describe, post, answer questions, figure shipping, package, ship and communicate with the winning bidder is NOT worth the few pennies I make after eBay and PayPal fees. A select few items might be worth the time and hassle but not many.

Someday us PackRatters will learn to never bring it home in the first place (I'm a sucker for CLEARANCE tags).

Great post!

dalene said...

Sister sew funny--I know what you mean. Did I really need to buy two pairs of the same great capris just because they were SOOOOOOOO cheap? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I have to tell you about a former e-Bayer I know. Watching her is exactly the reason I haven't started. Well, that and my aversion to actually entering a post office...

She probably worked 90 hours a week doing e-Bay. Much of her house was like my backyard.

But she thought it was great because she was making as much money as she had been at her prior part-time job.

One day, as she was excitedly telling me how much money she had brought in I couldn't help buy ask if that was the total paid or the profit after the cost of the products she was buying and her shipping.

The light dawned and we both realized it was before the total costs and not true profit. I think eventually she realized she was addicted to e-Bay, didn't have a life, and perhaps the per-hour income wasn't quite worth it.

That said, she loved what she was doing, made lots of new cyber friends and I scored a couple of nice antiques from her for cheap on occasion, so it was all good.

LuckyRedHen said...

Headboard?

:o)

dalene said...

Sorry. It's never anything useful. Had I one that size it would've been yours.

Come to think of it, I don't even have a headboard for my king-size bed, which currently butted up against the 1970's style waterbed headboard that is sitting on the floor, although it's meant to set on top of well, a waterbed. Which we (thankfully) no longer own.

LuckyRedHen said...

We don't even have a headboard; we just butt up against the wall. Sad state we're in, I know. But I did see one at Finders Keepers in AF that I might go get if it's still there. A headboard is hard to find. I like falling in LOVE with the items I purchase.

dalene said...

Here's a thought I love. And it's especially great if you want more space in your room. Don't buy a headboard, but paint on a faux headboard. You've got a creative mind--I'll bet you could do something really cool.

Eventually I'm going to find an old wooden door and paint it red. Then I'm going to hang it over my bed.

(Besides looking really cool...I also know that if whatever I put there is vertical rather than horizontal it will mean one less place to stack piles of clutter!)