Monday, May 29, 2006

Summertime...and the livin' is easy


School's out for the summer!

And that makes me happy because I love...

Getting to see more of my husband. He used to work three nights a week and Saturdays during the school year in order to teach third grade. Those days ended when he got his master's degree, but he still spends long hours at the school and we hardly even see each other at all during the month of May. In fact, I found it serendipitous last Thursday when I stopped by Barnes and Noble after my quilt class to pick up thank-you's for my kids' teachers and saw him walking into Office Max for some last minute supplies for his annual Grandview slide show. It became a spontaneous 15-minute date-night at Office Max. Already by Friday night I could feel the weight he carries on his shoulders lift a little, for a couple of short months anyway.

The hum of bees swarming my pillars of honeysuckle.

Not having to get anyone out of bed and ready for school in the mornings.

The crack of a bat in the ball park. I'm going through withdrawals this year, as my single boy of summer has chosen cross country instead of baseball. But I might just have to hang out at random fields about town and look for orphans who need someone to cheer for them.

Sitting on my shaded deck for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.

The made-for-each-other mingling of laughter and splashing on the slip-n-slide, at a pool, or in the spontaneous combustion of a water fight.

Ten weeks of indulgence in my desire to raise free-range children.

The scent of a BBQ.

Late nights with the windows open--listening to circling ceiling fan blades in rhythm with chirping crickets.

The splash of sweet sun-ripened tomatoes dripping down my chin.

Not having to nag anyone about whether or not their homework is done.

The filtered fluttering of shade shed down from leafy tree tops.

Butter drenched corn-on-the-cob--sprinkled lightly with sea salt--dripping down my chin.

Flip-flops, painted toe-nails and bare feet.

The purring motor of an electric ice-cream freezer. Because I do make dang good homemade ice cream. It's one of my five talents.

Not caring what time we finally get around to finally eating dinner at night.

The sound of drying beach towels or laundry flapping in the breeze.

Playing in the rain after the thunder and lightening fade away.

Dew. Freshly-squeezed lemonade. Fluffy white cotton-candy clouds. The South Fork of Provo Canyon. But most especially...the care-free smiles spreading across the tanned faces of my kids.

14 comments:

LuckyRedHen said...

You like all that food dripping down your chin? ;o)

Quilt class! At the Stitching Corner, Cotton Shops, where? I still need to send you pics of my quilts. Someday dear.

It's nice to hear a mom speak positively about summer. Lately I've only been hearing crankyness about what to do with all these kids 24/7. You're refreshing.

Didn't see "Ride a Harley" on your list :o)

JandB said...

i'm still in school, which makes me sad. maybe i can squeeze in some of the things you are talking about for this summer.

Lyle said...

I guess I'll have to "stop and smell the roses" before summer is gone. It's on my "to do" list.

dalene said...

Shannon--you've got to sign up for the Saturday Sampler at American Quilting. They are all original designs and Amy is the best designer--her stuff is beautiful.

I do want pictures of yours--but if you'll send me (henfeatherz@gmail.com) your e-mail I'll send you a photo of the quilt I did at AQ. Hurry in soon--she fills up really fast.

I just finished the Skill Sampler class with Jodi Warner at American Quilting. She is amazing and I learned so much--this is actually the second time I've taken it. They will offer it again this fall at AQ (didn't see that mentioned in your comment, do tell me you've been there--it's small but also my favorite) if you're interested.

to all--that's the secret--squeeze in a few of the simple things over the summer and it really makes all the crazy stuff (work, housework, yardwork, a different scout camp or family reunion every weekend, etc.) all the more worthwhile.

Sister Pottymouth said...

I love to read your posts. I'm so glad to have the kids out of school! I love not having a specific schedule. And I like it when my kids go outside and just have fun. Waterfights are the best!

JandB said...

night games! i remember sneaking out to play! my parents never let me play night games because...well, i don't know why. but i still found ways to get out. i mean, i was a perfect teenager and didn't do anything wrong.

Lorien said...

mmmmm. your post was so nostalgic. I could smell and feel summer while I read your post (from a frigid hotel room). I gotta capture that carefree bliss this summer. How do I fit carefree in between all the stuff I gotta do? I need some help with this one because I've gotten way too uptight lately.

~j. said...

All I've done in the week since summer started is wash towels, lather on the sunscreen (on the kids more than myself) and rinse out swimsuits. And I LOVE it.

LuckyRedHen said...

I don't have time to join a quilt class this summer. I'll be busy learning how to ride ;o) Thanks for keeping me updated on it though. Maybe in the winter when the roads are icy and wet.

My blog page has moved to...
http://luckyredhen.blogspot.com/

Geo said...

The honeysuckle is still blooming???

?????

May I still come to visit you and your flowers? I made two false starts last week and never made it that far. Tomorrow (Wednesday) evening I'm supposedly going to knit night at B&N, if my hub and I can get our pressowrk done without pulling another late-nighter (I was up past 2:00 this morning). If I'm able to steal away maybe I could bring you your book then and sniff your honeysuckers at dusk. Let me know if tomorrow's good or if another day would be better. Like I said, it largely depends on work. but I could sure use a knit and sniff, and meeting a new friend.

Geo said...

BTW, that was one gorgeous post. Thanks for helping me get a fresh crush on summertime.

dalene said...

My honeysuckle is still blooming. I would love for you to come visit. It will give me something to look forward to tomorrow...

Geo said...

Yay! I think maybe I will plan to come whether I have enough time or energy to go a-knitting first or (k)not. After sleeping on it, methinks this will be another devilish day and night of work, but a little play is important too. I've made my mind up that a little trip to your garden is the very last thing I will slash from today's itinerary.

Be prepared though--I am very sleep-deprived right now, and look like I'm a wobbly 100. In real life I'm only 42 and generally feel like less. I'll try to work in a 15-minute power nap today so maybe I won't slur my words when I introduce myself. I'm serious!

Please, will you email me again and tell me your street address? I thought I had your email programmed in to my Gmail, but I was wrong. pogofig at gmail dot com

Elizabeth-W said...

Today was the last day of kindergarten--made it through my first year of formal public school. Loved your summer list. We're big on ice cream here, and I even have a Ben and Jerry's cookbook. The corn here is about 6 inches high--butter will be running amok here soon.
Also loved your post about your daughter and the hoodie--keep writing about raising daughters because I need all the help I can get!