Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Random thoughts on a brilliant Wednesday morning

First I just need to know if there is anyone out there in the cyberworld who also avoids his or her financial deficiencies by pretending the bills never arrived. Or they can't be found. Or perhaps they were never sent in the first place.

Eventually I do find them and pay them in time to avoid late fees and interest, but if there is anything about which I am the least bit cowardly it would be fiscal responsibility. Why must I wait till the last possible moment to pony up? It's not like there is any more money in the bank (always sufficient, but never enough) at the beginning of the next month than there was two weeks earlier when the bill started pouring in. And I do always--even when the credit card bill is completely overwhelming--find a way to pony up. For all of it. I just can't seem to do so in a timely manner.

What's up with that?


Isn't it cool that no matter what your shortcomings are as a parent or that this is the kid who says he doesn't like pancakes and insists he is not hungry, the simple act of making Mickey Mouse pancakes for breakfast makes you the best Mom in the whole world?


Dear Macey's (the grocery store, not the now all-too-common-it-ceases-being-interesting department store): It does not matter how much you mark it down or make it cheaper than the other "generic brands" I refuse to buy something whose brand name is a misspelled word. There is nothing sure about "Shur Savings" brand except that I absolutely won't buy it.

Even if that means my husband has to make a second trip to the grocery store because we are out of milk and I also refuse to spend $2.50 for a no-name brand of 1%.


Can I tell you how much it pained me to reply to the poor girl who puts food on her table doing surveys for Harris Interactive honestly and admit out loud that I read "The Daily Herald?" I only read it because it comes to my door each day free of charge. And I'm such a word-a-holic that I will read the back of shampoo bottles if there is is nothing else at hand. I couldn't lie to her. But somehow I felt cheap and ditsy. It's like admitting that you only watch shows on the CW. Or that you bought Britney's last CD.

Or something.


Speaking of True Confessions:

Today I will freely admit that I am tired of being a responsible woman. After days of spending every possible minute my children were at school at work I am going to deliberately arrive late to work.

Because today I am just so over being responsible for everything and being repsonsible to everyone and just plain being "the repsonsible one" and I would rather just sit here. Basking in the silence. Wrapped up in a warm quilt in my comfy navy leather recliner. (You know, the one with the purposely inflicted ball point pen-holes in the arm.) And notice out of the corner of my eye that the sun is shining more brightly through my southern-exposed living room window and the blue of the sky is getting more intense each minute that I linger.

These are things I usually forget about once I clock in at work. But just for today I want to remember.








Isn't life ironic? The very day after I lambast the Herald in my blog they publish a letter to the editor from me. Of course I blasted them in the letter as well, but the fact that if there were no Herald or Herald readers my letter would've been totally irrelevant is not lost on me.

25 comments:

pflower10 said...

That's so funny that you say that about the bills. I do that too sometimes. I think I just want to hold on to my $$ a little bit longer , you know, like the song "STAY" by Jackson Browne. I guess I like having my numbers up there.

D, I admire you. You do so much in your day and you still have time to blog with humor, sensitivity, and insight.

Love the blog.

Lyle said...

Speaking of "not hungry" or "me-no-likey" kids: my wife made some yummy chicken broccoli braid for dinner yesterday. Our most picky eater gobbled up three servings [the last two were smaller than the first so it wasn't all that excessive] and in the middle of the night, he spewed it all over the place. How soon do you think it will be before he ever tries that meal again?

Making special shapes with pancake batter does put you in the running for the "greatest mom in the world". My mom would make our initials when we were growing up...last time we were visiting, she did the same for her grandchildren, my wife, and I. It was just like the good old days.

Lianne said...

Well, I have to say avoiding financial responsibility is something I am changing (note how I stated that in the positive!)

I HATE being the only adult in my home... yes, of course I am married. But he might as well be 14 most of the time. I hate being the only one who remembers to take out the trash, fill the dishwasher, or make dinner. I got home at 8:00 last night after a looooong day and they had the NERVE to ask what was for dinner.

I had grahams crackers and a can of olives. Why can't they be that resourceful?

Special K ~Toni said...

I pay my bills right on payday, if not I am afraid I will spend the money!

Cardine said...

If you hold onto your money a little longer, you might make five more cents in interest for the year. Five cents!

I actually have a calendar that tells me when my bills are due each month, and it tells me to pay them the day that they are due. That way I can keep my money as long as possible and not let my credit card company have it until the last second. Ha ha! (Oh, and I be sure not to spend the money before that time.)

~j. said...

Curly's favorite practice as of late is: "I don't like it!" Then we ask her to try it. She tries it. "Mas corn!!!"

Happy Hump Day.

b. said...

Yes. All over the place.

b. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer B. said...

"I refuse to buy something whose brand name is a mispelled word. There is nothing sure about "Shur Savings" brand except that I absolutely won't buy it."

Amen.

(Have you thought about a vacation? I hear that after the pre-trip panic attacks subside, a vacation can actually be relaxing.)

Carina said...

We are of one mind today. I just refused to get out of bed this morning. Well, that's not true.

I made french toast from homemade bread. El Guille freaked out because it wasn't "real" toast and then I had the nerve to pour SYRUP onto it? The world ended. I told him I didn't care, that was breakfast, and there wasn't anything else. I turned on Curious George and went back to bed.
I didn't really sleep, I just enjoyed the sun coming through the curtains and the marvelous bed.

glo said...

Shur Nuff! U 2 ken B errorsponsable!

This phrase brought to you by Macy's, home of the We Don't Need No Education brand.

dalene said...

Where to start? Kids are so funny about food. Only sometimes it's anything but funny when you're the parent.

I guess now I need a lesson on the making of monogram pancakes!

So this weekend I am setting a most important goal for myself. I am going to pay my bills and at least start on my taxes. That is another thing I put off till the last minute. And doing so is completely illogical. Why do I make myself wait for a refund? I get having some sick need to hold on to money going out, but this is the return of my year-long interest-free loan to my richest uncle, Sam! I think I need therapy.

lianne--I frequently notice that at my house the youngest child is the most resourceful when it comes to food. Is that a sign of neglectful parenting or did I finally get it right?

azucar--I bet you make a mean French toast.

jennifer b.--I just got back from "vacation!" (see the recap of my Arizona trip in a previous post. Thank heavens no flying was involved.)

Millie said...

I love the word "word-aholic" - my brain just CRAVES new information. I should name it Audrey II.

The bill thing reminds me of a book I read about debt, and the author said that "wait till the last possible minute" mentality is caused by not knowing if you'll have enough - of anything, not just money. It's a survival instinct. If you don't spend the money, you'll still have it. I totally have it too. He said the most freeing thing to do is pay the bill the DAY it comes in the mail, knowing that God, the Universe, good karma, whatever will take care of you.

Which freaks me out to no end.

dalene said...

Yes, especially because the longer I live the more I realize that good karma and the Universe seem to let a lot of people down.

Sister Pottymouth said...

I haven't finished my budget for the last three months--and counting. That says a lot for little ol' anal-retentive me.

dalene said...

Holy Hannah! I think you just suprised/shocked/blew me away even more than the tortilla chips in the sacrament bread.

Are you feeling OK?

Melody said...

Bills...hmmm...I'm not going to comment on that one. You know me too well.

As for going late to work: Good for You! It was a lovely day and I'd chaulk it up to "take care of me"ness. Even if it is now March.

Will you make me a Mickey Mouse pancake sometime?

dalene said...

Happy to. It will pale in comparison to your crepes, but I'll do my best.

b. said...

mmmmmm......creeps!

b. said...

I mean crepes.

Sister Pottymouth said...

I hear pflower10 makes some really unusual pancakes. Maybe she could make some for you and Mel for breakfast.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Yes, yes, and yes on making special food for petulant children and watching their whole demeanor change. When I cook a big meal my children will actually chant "You're number ONE! You're number ONE!" to me. See, food isn't just for winning the hearts of men. It's also for winning the hearts of children.

My Papi handles the bills. I hide in our rooom until he's done and remind him that he can't tell me about horrible they are because I've already reached my "3 Bad Things A Day" quota.

sue-donym said...

I got my tax return 3 weeks ago. My bills are on auto payment through my checking account. I make pink pancakes and chocolate chip pancakes every Saturday morning, (although I have yet to EVER hear a cheer about food coming from the princess) and I still am in my robe today at 10:00 a.m. debating going to work. It is my small form of rebellion.

I missed you letter to the ditor. I am going right now to look it up!

Geo said...

I am too well acquainted with bill-denial. Ack! The feast and famile cycle of self-employment has kept me from trusting in auto-pay bills for years, but recently I switched most of my accounts (except for mortgage—that one is too scary to touch with an automated anything) to auto-pay, and I must say, things are looking up. I'm still nervous, but so far so good. If you have anything like a steady income, even if it's a trickle, I advise you to go for this plan.

Plus, it makes you that much less responsible. I'm all for that! (Sick of it too.)

Geo said...

feast and FAMINE

I am the queen of typos today.