Monday, February 26, 2007

a bird in the kitchen is worth two in hand


I.

A couple of months ago I was driving home from somewhere with a mini-vanload of 15-to-16-year olds when my cell phone rang.

Me: "Speak to me!"

My seven-year-old, K~: "We found a dead bird. And it doesn't have any wounds on its body. And there's no blood. It's feathers are undisturbed. And it's wings aren't broken..." I'm thinking, "I should write a pilot for CSI Animal Planet."

I interrupt: "DON'T TOUCH THE DEAD BIRD!"

So at this point the teenagers in my car stop talking about life and love and the lastest song on the radio and start laughing. I want to say to them, "Just you wait. You future parents, you." I turn my attention back to the phone call, which is not going well. At the same time I'm ruling out West Nile Virus because it's too cold. Bird Flu because we're in the western hemisphere. At least it looks like we won't be going into quarantine...

K~: "I'm not."

Me: "Where is the bird?"

K~: "In the kitchen."

Me: "WHAT? "WHY IS THERE A DEAD BIRD IN MY KITCHEN?"

K~: Because L~ brought it in the house.

Me: "Did she touch it?" Did you touch it?

K~: "No. It's in cups."

Me: "What???"

Suddenly the darker side of me pictures dismembered bird pieces distributed meticulously throughout a number of paper cups. "I'm raising some kind of a psycho animal torturer, I think to myself." At the same time I'm also thinking, "You know you'd have to work pretty hard to dismember a bird. They kind of come all in one piece, don't they?"

Me: "Tell L~ to take it outside!"

It was the nicest way I could think of to say, "GET THE DEAD BIRD OUT OF MY KITCHEN! NOW!" Remember, there were witnesses.

Me, reiterating: "Take the bird outside but DON'T TOUCH IT. AND DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE EITHER!!!! THEN GO IN THE BATHROOM AND "WASH UP TO YOUR ELBOWS WITH REALLY HOT (read scalding) WATER AND LOTS OF SOAP!!!!! I'll be there in about five minutes. Wait till I get home."



II.

A few weeks ago the mercury finally crept up above 20. So I felt I could finally venture back out to my deck. My deck can be a lovely place in the spring and summer. But in winter it pretty much serves as a second refrigerator. Or during cold snaps like the entire frigid month of January, a freezer. I keep a number of things I can't fit into my fridge on this cute little table we eat off of in warmer times. On this day I notice that there is some trash tossed about so I start to gather it up to throw away. I casually pick up a couple of 12-oz. Dixie cups stacked on top of one another. The top one falls off and there it is:


The dead bird.


I had completely forgotten about it. EWWWWWWWW! Although slightly relieved to see it's NOT a case of ritual dismemberment, I start to toss it unceremoniously into the trash when my 11-year-old daughter L~ appears out of nowhere and lets out a wail. "Mom, NOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!"


Apparently she's waiting for the ground to thaw enough to give it a proper burial.


17 comments:

Special K ~Toni said...

Ewwww! But at least the bird isn't in your kitchen! I think it's sweet that L~ wants to bury the bird!

Elizabeth-W said...

We've had several fish burials. What is less than pleasant is when the six year old exhumes (sp?) the fish, to see how the decomposition is coming...Just a little heads-up on that whole scenario. ;)

b. said...

You showed great restraint in the car.
Now where you gonna put it? Until/If it ever thaws?

Bek said...

That is not funny, but it really is!! Your kids are hilarious!

I live in NORTHERN California, but I would drive to SoCal just to have lunch with you if it weren't for the three little ball and chains.... I am so sad!! (P.S. I live a few towns away from San Francisco...).

Millie said...

Awwwww!! Poor kid! It's great to see she has such reverence for her fellow-creatures! :)

Unknown said...

I think that's about the time I would get out the shovel and dig in the dirt [frozen or not (cause birds are small and don't need to go six feet under)]and put the whole bird business behind me.

dalene said...

bek--I'm sorry I will miss you. If I weren't attach to my mom and following my son on tour I'd drive clear UP to see you (and your cute little ball and chains). Another time.

Actually, I left it right where it was. I figured it was her "baby" and I was going to let her be responsible for it from start to finish.

I noticed the cups were gone the other day and I asked her about it. She told me she'd buried it. And I don't want to know when or where.

Unless come spring when I start to till the soil for my favorite herb garden I come across a rotting carcass...

Carrot Jello said...

Aww, how sweet. Except for the "cups" part. That disturbed me.

Anonymous said...

Look at the bright side. It could have been a larger varmint and it could have been your best tupperware.
Also, be thankful you even got a phone call, most chibs would just get into the CSI thing and never think twice about involving an adult.

This is me said...

Birds are creepy. Dead or alive.

JandB said...

this reminds me of when my family went on vacation to visit the grandparents for a few days and when we came back we found 4-6 (i don't remember how many) dead birds in our house. apparently they came in through the chimney. i thought it was funny, but i was young. my parents had to have just freaked out!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

No. Just plain NO. The only dead bird I want in my kitchen will enjoy a final resting place in my crockpot surrounded by the companionship of mixed vegetables and a savory gravy.

Our chocolate Labrador is really bad about eating dead birds. We've caught him twice. The crunch sound is sickening and nothing at all like KFC's extra-crispy bird recipe.

pflower10 said...

OOOOHHHH MMMYYY GOOOOSHHHH!!! That is hilarious. Poor L seeing you trying to throw it out. She is so sweet to want to bury it.

Thanks for the comment on my blog today, you're a sport!!

Sister Pottymouth said...

My favorite part about this post is the label. Watch out, Steven King. Here comes Dalene!

dalene said...

skewed: It could have been a larger varmint and it could have been your best tupperware. You got it!


By the way my husband keeps about 40+ tumbler pigeons as pets.

I refer to them as my food storage.


You're welcome pflower. You really cracked me up tonight!

jules--I did that on purpose. Because there is definitely more to come under that particular label.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Oh, I can't wait!

Rhonda Sloan said...

How sweet that she wants to bury it...I see her bringing home lots of stray animals in the future.