Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sunrise, Sunset. . .


Just how many pictures of a gorgeous sunset are too many? We started to lose track of which lake, which sunrise, which sunset... One morning--the day it froze in Savonlinna--we got up early and waited two hours for sunrise. We almost took our chilled bones inside, but kept telling each other, "It's coming up in the next ten minutes..." until it finally arrived. But it occurred to us that we could've been on any one of the 180,000+lakes in the country looking at the very same sunrise. It didn't matter, it was beautiful all the same.


Off the coast of the island sea fortress Suomenlinna



Shane waiting for the sun to come up









Off the western coast (Gulf of Bothnia--Baltic Sea)
101 things to do with this old boat...
I traveled half a world away just for this very shot...my pudgy little toes in the Gulf of Finland, which is part of the Baltic Sea

10 comments:

Lyle said...

You didn't by chance figure out a way to magically transfer a portion of Finland to the states? I love the photos.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I agree with Lyle. I didn't even know that I wanted to go to Finland until seeing these photographs. You should start a new career with the Finland Board Of Tourism!

Sister Pottymouth said...

Aw, your toes are so cute!

And the photo of Shane waiting for the sun to rise somehow reminds me of Kyle.

What gorgeous photos!

b. said...

WOW! Truly beautiful pictures--what a great opportunity!

Carina said...

Such gorgeous pictures! Why is it that the Baltic always looks freezing?

Love what they did with that boat.

Geo said...

Great lightningbolt cloud! What a wonderful foot!

More! More!

Anonymous said...

Wowser. Great pics. Just think, you'll always be able to go back there everytime you look at your gorgeous photos. And I bet you'll smile.
Finland has always been one of my most desireable travels. Even as a young man, I had posters of the fiords and the magnificant granite peaks. So beautiful.

I too would like to see more...

LuckyRedHen said...

LOVELOVELOVE all the pics! And your pudgy toes ;o)

QueenScarlett said...

You should frame these. I'm a sucker for sunrise/sets... love how beautiful and peaceful it is. I'm thinking collage on a wall... nice shots.

Melody said...

How nice to see those toes in the Gulf. It's in you now, isn't it? Wonderful!