Monday, October 09, 2006

To market, to market, to buy. . .


Market fresh everyday--

I love the open-air markets! The freshest of fish, flowers and produce. Original fine handicrafts. Furs and hides to warm you from head to toe. Not to mention a people-watcher's paradise. My memories of market include observing a Greek man try to pick up on a Japanese tourist half his age If I buy you everything here will you be my girlfriend?, haggling with the vendors most delightedly, watching a boat pull up in the harbor and sell fish right off the ocean, walking past something I really wanted at least three times before I had the courage to go back and just buy it. Hearing Finnish, English, Japanese and a chorus of other languages along with the sounds of the sea--seagulls, ships and sailboats. Smelling the salt air and the fog mingled with the scent of fresh food and flowers. I wish I could've packed up all the sights, sounds, smells and tastes and bottled them up to bring a little back for all of you.










Can you guess which one is now sitting in my living room?
Geo--this one was just for you...



Really, who wouldn't want to try this guy's tomatoes?






11 comments:

LuckyRedHen said...

I guess the blonde one. LOVE the pictures! Thanks for posting them FINALLY :O)

Millie said...

The one with the braids?

What are those funky green veggies? Something close to broccoli or cauliflower?

This makes me want to sew a bunch of stuff and sell it. :) Why, I don't know... I have a 3-foot tall mending pile to get through first...

dalene said...

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!! Am I that obvious? I took her picture hoping that would do, but quickly realized it wouldn't. I still went back three times before I finally whipped out the VISA card and made a deal. Isn't she beautiful?

A picture post a day for the rest of the week--and I'm saving the best for last--so keep checking back. Thanks for reading!

wendysue said...

I love markets like this. . .the flowers look divine and I especially love the picture of the woman with her bike and basket full of goodies from the market! Oh, and the older woman selling the homemade tiaras!! Fun!

Sarah said...

I'm a total sucker for farmers' markets. We have one on our street every week and I always go needing nothing and coming back with something. You can't beat "fresh!"

Geo said...

Man, that blows our little summertime park market completely away. *sigh*

And gorgeous yarn and needlefelting too! Now you're getting me where it hurts most . . . .

Lyle said...

And I thought the Amazon had some funky looking food. Go Finland!

dalene said...

Not meant to hurt dear Geo. Just wanted you to know I saw something beautiful and it reminded me of you.

Girl con Queso said...

Luuuuuhhhhvvveee the market. What incredible photographs!!!

La Yen said...

And tomatoes.

Carina said...

I miss a good market (and a good accordion player.)