Tuesday, October 17, 2006

City Streets II: I love this town!

Helsinki is such an amazing city! So colorful and distinct and interesting. I decided the best way to do Helsinki was not to worry about trying to see everything, but to just take the time to savor it--to feel it, hear it, and just watch--wherever I was and whatever I was doing. Several times we just got on the "trolley" and rode whatever loop was in the area and just looked out the window.
I could live here in a heartbeat. I think I could be a professional shopper (I have never seen suge HUGE department stores--nothing like a mall, really). Well, all except for the in-just-a-couple-months-there'll-only-be-three-hours-of-daylight-and-everything-will-be-buried-under-ice-and-snow thing. (I know for sure I'd go to market every day to buy some tomatoes.)












The Rock Church was built right into a big chunk of granite



















For our second (and longest) stay in Helsinki, our hotel had the BEST view! We looked out on one of the squares and could see just about anything and anybody. We left the window open constantly so we could watch and listen. (Did I mention how fabulous the shopping is here?)



5 comments:

Lyle said...

How am I supposed to talk my wife into going to Brazil someday if you keep posting pictures like this?

Sister Pottymouth said...

Nice buns on the ax-bearing statues. No wonder there are multiple pictures of that one. (hee hee!)

dalene said...

I wondered if anyone would notice that! There's actually an interesting legend regarding the naked-men-with-sledghammers statue (aside from the fact that it's really diffucult to take a naked man with a sledgehammer too seriously when he has a pigeon sitting on his head). Legend has it that you can actually hear the sledgehammers clanging about whenever a virgin walks past.

Needless to say, I never heard the clanging of the sledgehammers once the entire time I was there.

LuckyRedHen said...

I LOVELOVELOVE the pics!

Rhonda Sloan said...

I LOVE your photos (you've got a great eye!)...we've traveled quite a bit, but now I have to add Finland to our list of "musts."