Saturday, October 21, 2006

In which I glanced upon Providence. . .

. . . and chose the road to Paradise.

Today the fates smiled kindly upon me and I volunteered my way to lovely Logan and rediscovered idyll in my life. And here is an account of what happened there:


I continued to be enchanted with the Provo High Marching Band's fun-spirited rendition of "The Nightmare Before Christmas." (Even though I can only see the performance from the back through a tiny break in the marvelous set--I volunteer on the set crew). I get a chill and a thrill and the crowd goes wild every time mere mortal high school students raise the 18' tall Jack and Sally marionettes into the air.

Every time.


I thanked the heavens for such a world in which the golden autumn leaves are prone to dance across the streets and scatter along the sidewalks with wanton abandon.


I pondered the pastoral scenes on the drive from Brigham City to Logan, then from Logan to Paradise (and you thought I was just kidding) then again from Logan to some town without a name just outside of Tremonton and wondered if life doesn't pass by just a little bit more slowly in such serene settings.


I had lunch in a greasy cafe with a dear friend who, before she moved so far away from me (she left Provo for Paradise), instilled in me much love and laughter and this juicy gem of wisdom:

"This too shall pass!"


I finally forsook the foolish idea that "I could make that" and actually purchased two cute pillows for my antique rocking chair in hopes no one will notice the shocking lack of Halloween decorations at my house and that my snowman quilt is still leftover from last Christmas.


I got close enough to the general vicinity of Ty that even though I couldn't see him, I could actually sense the aura of his manic-ness, the infusion of which kept me alert and awake for the long drive home (I didn't know they were doing Extreme Makeover in little old Logan, did you?).


I spent a great day with my 15-year-old son who is a good kid and a lot of fun and who enjoys much of the same music I do (Lorien, we did the Gorillas the way they were just meant to be done) and doesn't (yet) loathe his mother.


(And as if all that were not enough, I arrived home to find a friend had expressed her thanks to me in the language of tres leches).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Band kinship! I too have a 15 year old (daughter) in the HS band. She plays the fluet/piccalo. Our band is proficient, not spectacular, but has terrific chibs and they are a blast to be around. I remember my days in school when the nerds were in the band, today they are the cool ones.

Lyle said...

Someone seems to have a lil favoritism..... Logan is a lovely place. I spent my four earliest years in Smithfield.

dalene said...

Skewed: Sweet sounds of the saxophone in this house. With a twist of clarinet. I think the kids who are in the band because they love the music are so cool. And I love that they keep on putting their hearts and souls into it even though American Fork kicks everybody else to pieces when it comes to the competitions.

Lyle: Favoritism of the band? Well, yes. My high school was too small to have a marching band so this is all new to me. And because they are playing something so fun--but also because Jack and Sally are so captivating--I'm having a good time playing the supportive parent role. Especially if it gets me onto the middle of the field at Cougar Stadium. (And to other exotic locations such as Pocatello, Idaho.)

Favoritism of Logan? I love it! Have you ever been to Paradise? My friend lives in a 100-year-old home on the main drag and it's so beautiful there. Logan is right up there with Cedar City in places I could live in Utah if I didn't live in Provo.