Sunday, April 15, 2007

You don't use coupons at prom, Mom!







Three things I learned at my first prom as the mom:

1). Boys are WAY easier to help get ready than girls. Seriously! I was out getting a pedicure and eating Café Rio with my in-laws while Melody was juggling her 14 yards of gorgeous brown tulle. It almost didn't seem fair.

2). Apparently, my son informed me (as I started to pull out Ottavio's coupons when I heard where he was taking his date), it's not kosher to use coupons at prom.

3). Although a dress would be completely beyond me, I am going to learn how to make my own darn corsage--thank you very much--before I watch another kid fork out $20 for one stinkin' (but lovely) gerber daisy. Not that his cute date wasn't worth it, but I would've made her an armload of gerber daisies for half that!





(p.s. Here's a shout out to Melody for earning both 3rd Place and an honorable mention in Segullah's annual poetry contest. And in case you were wondering, I'm not bailing on compulsivewriter.com, but until I get smart enough to post photos in something other than thumbnail or you-don't-have-a-computer-big-enough-to-see-this size, I'm not entirely quitting my day job here at blogger.)

13 comments:

glo said...

Oh! How lovely! Prom is such fun - they look like they had a lovely time!

b. said...

Oh, he is handsome! And his date's darling! Are these words that will embarrass my son when he goes to prom?

wendy said...

Her dress is so cute! And your son is adorable! What fun!

sue-donym said...

Too cute! And you are so like me, pulling out the coupons and having everyone around me die from mbarrassment.

Melody said...

That girl is a doll! And Luke looks dyn-o-mite! I have a feeling he's on his way to great things.

Okay, okay, you're right about the girls' prom preparation being a little more involved than the boys', but it's well worth it... Memories galore!

When I read this post I felt again what I've felt so many times before when I read about your kiddies or hear you talk about them: You are a great mom to your girl and boys! Coupons or no, they know you want only the best for them.

And you know I would help with a dress if you asked. Only for you, dear, only for you.

Carina said...

I will show you how to make a corsage. EASY.

carrie said...

I'm only have a couple more years before I'm dealing with Proms. I'M NOT READY! Adorable picture.

Anonymous said...

Thanks all. I was just happy that his prom was so much more a success than my own. It's kind of like watching Napolean Dynomite. Seeing someone else's success than is kind of healing in an odd sort of way.

Mel--you know about L~'s fascination with duct tape. I keep hoping that when it's time for her prom I won't have to deal with a dress because she'll want to participate in the duct tape prom dress contest and make her own dress. Duct tape comes in such great colors these days!

I don't think we're ever ready for those coming of age moments when we realize our kids are growing up. But it's OK carronin. Times like these can be a lot of fun.

azĂșcar--I would love it if you would teach me. Thanks!

pflower10 said...

DId he smooch her?

Anonymous said...

Props to your son... I keep my parents miles away during prom. No photos, no gushing, no coupons, no nothing. His tolerance is admirable.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Can I just comment on the lovely, lovely demure dresses and fresh faced cutie pies wearing them? No dresses in pieces or with cutouts. No strings or halters or plunging necklines. Just classic and gorgeous prom wear. Le sigh. I wish all girls had this much modesty. It's really much more flattering than looking like a two bit hooker on Prom Night.

Anonymous said...

Oh but there was a little of that EWL. My favorite was the twin pink mohawk couple.

And here's the thing, dem. Here they have what's called promenade and parents are actually invited to come while each couple is "presented" and walks down the big staircase. Can you believe it?

Goslyn said...

I second elastic waistband lady's comment! These are the most beautiful prom pictures I've ever seen. The young ladies look like just that - young ladies, instead of trashy prostitutes.

How I wish everyone could understand the beauty of modesty.