Friday, April 27, 2007

My name is D. and I...

[From the archives: I just discovered about 5 years of posts that were lost in an incident over at my new and current wordpress site, compulsivewriter.com In the next few months I will archive some of my favorite ones here, just to be sure I don't lose them again].

In honor of b. who A). wrote a fabulous post about being real and dealing with addiction and 2). just now in an e-mail completely flattered me with a comment about not being able to be in withdrawal from both dp and my blog at the same time.
As I said before, sometimes I wish we could just open our meetings or other public gatherings with our own “My name is…and I…” Just drop the pretenses and be real about who we are. Be open about our strengths and talents as well as our weaknesses. The truth of the matter is we all have our own coping and avoidance mechanisms, our own addictions if you will. Sometimes I get tired of trying to be better than I really am and I just want to be me. And I just want to be with people who know me and love me and accept me just the way I am.
So I’ll start. Please feel free to join me if you want to.
My name is Dalene and sometimes I yell at my kids. (But I am really good at saying “I’m sorry” after I lose it. An evolution of the species of which I am rather proud.) I flunked flylady and would rather do just about anything than the dirty dishes. I can load the dishes and wash them, but can’t seem to arrive at putting them away. (I have the same problem with the laundry.) I pretty much have ADD of housework. I don’t buy potato chips because I could eat a whole bag. I put off paying my bills till the last minute and my checkbook hasn’t been balanced since ‘04. I get a kick out of being right…to a fault. I tend to display addictive tendencies in blogging, quilting, shopping for fabric or Bath & Body Works products or reading a good book. I dress up for work (except for my shoes) but I live for the end of the day when I can grab my sweats or some p.j.s.
I am only a little bit twisted, but I do have a dark side and sometimes engage in bleak thoughts.
On the upside, I am really mostly a cup-half-full kind of gal. I can find something to like in almost everyone and am a good and loyal friend. I tell my kids how much I love them every day, even if they ignore me or roll their eyes. I’ll tell you what I think even if you don’t want to hear it. I am kind of a “in-the-moment” kind of gal which is a good thing if I get mad at you–which I rarely do–because I will forget about it by the end of the day. But it’s a bad thing if I’m at work and I forget to go home or in the middle of a good book and I forget to fix dinner. To be brutally honest, I am not cool, but I have cool friends. And most of the teenagers I know don’t loathe me. I have few talents, and they are none of the important ones, but I take care of people. I make a mean sour cream lemon pie. (In fact I cannot make rolls to save my life but I am darn good pie baker.) I’m smart but not brilliant, and that pains me somewhat.
But I am not a horrible quilter.
So there I am. Now, how ’bout you?

No comments: