Wednesday, August 08, 2007

While I was(n't) sleeping

ou may remember a few months back when, in a conscious effort to take better care of myself I subjected said self to a nuclear stress test. Well, my “be good to you” saga continues.
A few weeks ago I got to have a sleepover. It was at the sleep medicine clinic at UVRMC. The reason I signed up for a sleepover is because I have suspected for several years I might suffer from a certain sleep disorder. And I’ve been in denial about it until the latest family reunion, when I saw my aunt, who also suffers from this disorder, have to pack around an oxygen machine. (I did a three-week stint with home oxygen back in ‘01. Trust me, you don’t want to go there if you don’t have to.)
So I met with a pulmonologist and booked me a night at the sleep center. I arrived at 9:15 p.m. one night, half expecting to sleep on a gurney while a bunch of white-coated technicians watched from a one-way window on the second floor and recorded my every move . But the room was rather like a bed and breakfast room, only without the breakfast part. And no one got to watch.
Yesterday I met with my doctor, Dr. Doug Ross
[insert photo of George Clooney as Doug Ross on ER]
(OK, so not that Dr. Ross) for the results. He told me I do indeed suffer from sleep apnea. I was not surprised, as I have consciously caught myself not breathing just a time or two before. (And it’s rather alarming, let me tell you.)
But I was surprised when Dr. Ross informed me that on average I wake up 19 times and hourduring the 5-6 hours of sleep I usually get. (And that’s only considered moderate sleep apnea.) Dr. Ross also told me that kind of disruption in my sleep might lead to fatigue and could even affect my mood. Hmmm. You might think I would find that news just a little discouraging. But I actually turned right around and patted myself on my back. Because with that kind of track record I find it truly amazing I get anything done in a day and that I am usually a rather cheerful and civil person.
The best part about being diagnosed with sleep apnea is that now–hoop jumping for the insurance co. aside–I can be treated. Aside from fact I will have to trade in my Victoria’s Secret for the latest in secksy fashion from CPAP

this also means I will actually wake up feeling rested and refreshed each day. My energy level and good cheer should increase significantly (I know, my being any more cheerful could really be scary). My recently rising blood pressure should fall a bit. And I should be a much more healthy happy camper.
All that can only be a good thing.
Why do I drag you, dear readers, even further into my medical history? Because I expect you to be smarter than I am.
1). If you suspect there may be something wrong with your health, DO NOT WAIT SIX YEARS TO LOOK INTO IT! (Sorry about the all caps, but I MEAN IT!).
2). Be aware sleep apnea does more than just wear you down and make you tired. It can lead to congestive heart failure, which is what my aunt has. That is worse than having to wear an elephant man mask to bed. Truly. (This disorder affects more than 12 millions Americans, so odds are you may know someone who suffers from sleep apnea.)
3). Please stay tuned for the one in which I tell you why there is no such thing as a healthy tan. (but only if Sue and Courtney promise not to disown me.)

No comments: