Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Because I'd rather do anything else but the dishes right now...

None too happy about:

Macy's coming to Orem. Kinda ruins the charm. Not to mention, here in Utah we call our grocery chains Macey's. It's like would the Eiffel Tour be so special if they had one in every state?

I think Ben & Jerry's may have discontinued their cookie dough peace pops. I can't find them anywhere.

My husband and I still can't agree on who would get our kids if we both biffed it in a horrible plane crash. I'm trying to joke about it so you can't see my fingers shaking and my heart racing in mortal fear every time I think about the 21 hour flight to Finland.

My passport picture.

I missed the entire storm of the decade yesterday because I was being a responsible woman. I DO NOT WANT TO BE A RESPONSIBLE WOMAN!


I'm lovin' this:

Finally, fresh corn on the cob is available on near every street corner. And tis the season for farmer's markets. Not to mention the neighbors' (hint, hint, Lorien) leftover zucchini. It doesn't get any better than that.

My co-worker's life-size Captain Jack Sparrow cardboard cutout. Of course I'm intensely jealous, too. INTENSELY! I really would love to take him home with me...(Captain Jack, not my co-worker)

The great new tote I picked up at Bath and Body Works. Some people do shoes, but I have a thing for a great bag.

Driving around at night with the windows down and the music up way too loud for my age.

Black River Brethren (Because I'm a little bit twisted and their cellist rocks.)


True confessions:

I spent way too much money today.

I almost covet Angi Tison's laundry room with the shiny red beadboard cupboards and the lovely front-loading appliances. I half believe that with a laundry room that nice the laundry just does itself.

I read Doonsbury. And sometimes it makes me laugh.

I'd rather be quilting.

I heart Captain Jack Sparrow.

14 comments:

JandB said...

your not the only one that missed the storm. of course, i'm in idaho. i love the tote bag! i am more of a shoe person. i don't think anyone could ever own too many stilettos! But i am thinking of getting into purses and bags. i'm not sure though, i'm still deciding if that is a good move for me.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm going to pretend that I didn't just read that you're a Doonesbury fan. My blogger love is unconditional but, Doonesbury? Really? Seriously?

Brewster Rockit is my favorite comic strip right now along with Pearls Before Swine.

Lorien said...

I love pirates. And I, too, covet Angi's laundry room. A laundry closet/hall just isn't the same.

Carina said...

No exclusions at my house: bags and shoes go together and I have FAR TOO MANY of each.

Sister Pottymouth said...

My son says that our car cleans itself. Is that the same as Angi's laundry room?

I'm drooling right now at the thought of fresh corn on the cob, dripping with REAL butter. I might have to go see if my dad's garden has produced any yet.

~j. said...

I had to go through extreme mental strains to call Macey's a grocery store when I first moved here from NY. Now, 10 years later, I'm back at the beginning. *sigh*

wendysue said...

I too am so happy to see my favorite local farmer Deb and her delish sweet corn. My favorite way to cook it? Soak it with the husks on and grill it (it's ok if it burns a little, it makes it more fabulous). . .then unwrap your little gift and douse it in lots and lots of butter. . . .mmmm. . .my mouth is watering.

Elizabeth-W said...

Last night I made soup that was leeks, a bit of celery, red bell pepper, whole milk, chicken broth, yukon gold potatoes and 5 ears of fresh corn! Dee-lish!! I love this time of year when corn is 10 cents an ear, and so sweet you really don't have to cook it.
So if you can't decide who'll get the kids is it because there are no good choices, or too many? I hope it's the latter. I really need to get that sort of thing in writing, too.

dalene said...

elastic: Not a fan. I'm just admitting that I read it and that sometimes it makes me laugh. That alone is grounds for disownment on one side of my family.

lianne: I love the M&F clearance floor--in fact it has been, in the past, blogworthy.

elizabeth-w: Sadly, not enough. That's if we stick to either of our families--as I've explained before, sometimes we don't even put the "fun" in dysfunctional.

I have threatened lorien and julie however that I'm just going to set up a calendar and rotate my kids through several families in the neighborhood.

Lorien gets them the first week of the month.

Julie gets them the second.

Any other takers?

Carina said...

elizabeth, that soup sounds so incredibly delicous I'm going to make it tonight for dinner.

dalene said...

Oh yes, will you elaborate on the soup--just a few directions on how you prepared it? It does sound yummy.

And thanks wendysue--I've always been curious about grilling corn on the cob. I'm going to try that too!

Elizabeth-W said...

Here's the soup recipe:
2 TBS butter 1 TBS olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped leeks
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 cups whole milk
3 TBS flour
3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
2 cups fresh corn-4-5 ears depending on size
2 lbs cubed potato-I did yukons and red
freshly ground black pepper to taste-I like a lot
a pinch of dill
Saute the leek, celery and bell pepper in the fats until tender, about 4 minutes. Combine milk and flour, whisking in a small bowl. Add milk to vegetables. Stir in everything else and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer about 20 min or until potato is tender. I adapted this from Cooking Light, this month's issue.

Compulsive, maybe you can get someone to make this for you, for comfort food. I saw your most recent post, and wanted to say I'm so sorry you and your family are having to experience this.

QueenScarlett said...

I just wanted you to know - I'm thinking about you and your family. I love reading your writing... you take me to the heart of your emotions and I appreciate that.

Hugs.

I know words of sympathy...empathy and care are empty in times like this... God is the only one who can heal us through our tragedies.

pflower10 said...

hey Daylene,
I keep throwing stacks of laundry in my laundry room hoping upon hope that the front loaders will take the hint and do their job without ME involved....I'll never give up!!!