Thursday, August 24, 2006

American Idyll

Regarding back-to-school: A friend recently asked me, "Are you sad to see the idyllic days give way to school schedules?"

I thought about this for awhile.


Idyllic days.


I can't remember the last time I've indulged in an idyllic day. It certainly wasn't this summer.

Seriously.

And how sad is that?


So I decided I needed to put more idyll in my days.


Last night as the thunder crashed and the rain started to fall I took five minutes away from my putting-the-kids-to-bed-while-I'm-still-finishing-up-laundry-and-trying-to-work-on-a-long-neglected-quilt-project-routine and walked outside to breathe in deeply the damp earthy scent of rain-splashed cement and feel oft-longed-for raindrops on my face.

Five minutes of idyll in my day.


Today, for the first time all summer, I was lucky enough to get a lounge chair at Veterans so I dragged it over to the shade of an ancient tree and I actually lounged there with my hat down over my eyes and took a nap. Only half aware of the carefree sounds of splashing and laughter as the dwindling crowd celebrated one of the last hurrahs of summer.

Twenty minutes of idyll in my day.


I'm still pondering what idyllic moment I will happen upon tomorrow. I probably won't know until it arrives. But I do know I will be all the happier for having recognized it and seized upon it.


So, what do you do when you feel the need for idyll in your day?

15 comments:

Sarah said...

I find a long bath around midnight with candles and a good book can rescue even the worst day from the dump. I lose an hour or two of sleep, but I go to bed happy and ready for another day. I could use more "idyll" times during the day though - I'm glad you are trying to seek them out! I usually can't be involved in more than a five minute conversation during the day because my brain is going nuts about all the stuff I'm "supposed" to be doing.

I miss thunder storms. That would be a perfect idyll moment.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Books, books, books. But they have to be fiction.

This is me said...

A clean, quiet house.

And watching my babies sleep.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Where do I go for idyll in my day? Blogger, but of course!

Elizabeth-W said...

I'm thinking if it takes me all day to to try to think of one that I'm probably not getting enough. Maybe today at the water park basking in the sun, little kids in the water, not begging me to get into the cold with them? Surely I can do better!!

LuckyRedHen said...

My Harley -- but today when I did it I had to stop under thick tree's THREE times on my way to Orem because of the delicious thundering rain. Not great for riding in (without my chaps or boots too) but a good lesson nonetheless. I'd like to nap under a hat.

princessoctober said...

a hot bubblebath, and a game of slap jack with my boys..makes me laugh and creates a memory to checrish forever

Millie said...

OH MAN WHAT A GOOD IDEA. I need to take some "idyll" time for once in my life. I feel horribly guilty for taking any kind of time like this. If I did it, everything else in my life would probably be much easier to handle. I'd have to choose something that doesn't involve eating chocolate because I already do that too much.

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

QueenScarlett said...

LOVE this post. What a brilliant idea. Plus - Idyll is a pretty word.

Naps. Breath of fresh air in the morning when I wake up...especially if it's crisp. Pulled to dance by my daughter. A decadent bit of chocolate. Getting my feet and legs rubbed by my hubby. Sometimes just sitting silently, in the dark with my legs up...

Geo said...

One of the many things I like about you: You know and appreciate the difference between idle and Idyll.

I worked on the moments today too. I indulged in a warm soak in the tub and used the time to pray about some things I want to resolve, and gained a little ground, I do believe. Walked to Home Depot with Rob instead of driving, and took pictures of the sky along the way. Started up a crochet project before bed while Rob read me a few chapters from the Moomintroll series.

At other times, I idyll by doing yoga, reading, dancing (sans audience), riding my bike along the river trail, writing, or knitting. Or eating French pastries.

That was a terrific post. I idyllize you.

Geo said...

P.S. I love your lament for Pluto. It is a cryin' shame. I mean, gosh, you grow up thinking you know the heavens and then some 21st Century rock-it scientist comes along and blows one of your memorized orbiters clean off the planetary map. Phooey.

Lyle said...

Idyll for me would probably consists of reading or fishing a small stream (away from the road and other people)...haven't had a good fishing trip for a couple of years.

There are other hobbies that I enjoy, but that does not mean I find them Idyllic.

Lyle said...

btw, Fablehaven by Brandon Mull was a great recent read (great fo rkids too)

Melody said...

Please refer to my blog for my contribution! Love it when we're on the same wave-length.

P.S. Did I ever tell you about the motorcycle ride I took with Mike J. when I was fourteen but he thought I was sixteen. . .it rained . . .it was idyllic.

dalene said...

I remember some good old days fishing. There is something about the water. And the early morning.

Those are some great ideas. I'm thinking good books and a deep bubble bath sound pretty heavenly right now.