Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A stitch in time...saves me

At the request of Lianne--another one of my good friends I've never met--here are a few pics of some of my favorite quilts.

People ask me when I find time to quilt. The answer is I don't. It's just that quilting is as good a diversion from my real responsibilities such as housework, dishes and the laundry as is blogging.

The other question I get is "Why?" Aside from "Why not?," I would have to say that the reason I love to quilt is because it is the only thing I do in a day that does not get immediately undone. Such is the nature of motherhood.

Seriously.

If it weren't for this little hobby of mine I'd be certifiable by now.

preservation: my friend and I designed this a few years ago when everyone else was still canning bugs

choir of angels: this little Christmas quilt is still hanging up--even though it's the end of July

underground railroad: a gift to my grandmother on her 88th birthday. she loved it, but she never used it--convinced the thin cotton batting wouldn't be warm enough--so I inherited it back early

log cabin crazies by buggy barn

amy mcclellan (of american quilting in orem)'s original design for her first annual saturday sampler

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Those are incredible quilts! I admire the patience and exactness it takes to do that. I'm more of a "ahh, that's close enough. . . " kind of artist. Doesn't translate well with fabric, so I'm told. You and my sister Gina need to have a pow-wow.

Emmie said...

WOW. I'm an amateur quilter (it's therapy for me, too), and I stand in awe of your creations. Truly amazing!

Geo said...

Wowsers! You're good! The food storage quilt is my favorite. I'd love to see these in person.

I'm about to make my first flag--not a quilt, mind you, but still a big sewing project for me.

Sister Pottymouth said...

You never cease to amaze me, friend. The canning quilt is my favorite too. Such talent you have! And you give great hugs, too.

Elizabeth-W said...

Oh...(sigh of contentment and happiness looking at your handiwork). The canning one is my fav, too.

QueenScarlett said...

Wow - I'm so untalented ...impatient when it comes to this - but I'm willing to buy! ;-) Beautiful. How lucky for your kids - they will treasure these one day - if not now.

I love Christmas - my Nativity is up all year long.

Lorien said...

love em. I'm impressed that you finish your quilts. That's my problem...I'm a great starter, not so much a finisher. That must reveal something about my personality.

JandB said...

all of these quilts are so amazing! you are definately talented. is it in your water? maybe i'll come by and drink some of your water to get your talent.

Sarah said...

I like Log Cabin Crazies the best! My mom was a big quilter and made us do it when we were young which is why now I don't. Sadly, most of my memories of quilting were of me grumbling, wanting to play, and my mom making me put in row after row of Laura Ashley blocks. I'm glad that you are perpetuating the quilting tradition. I can't make myself!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Skillz woman. You got skillz! I tried to teach myself to quilt. My teacher is stupid and makes lopsided quilt squares.

Yes, I've taken up bloggong and gardening to offset the depression of a child destroyed home. Years of hard work and a buttload of money wallpapering, painting, accesorizing only to see everything, cut, crumbled and colored on.

I don't allow the kids in the front yard anymore. This is why Eve got kicked out of The Garden Of Eden before all her spawn could destroy that heavenly place. God knows everything and plans accordingly. :)

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

The canning one is my favorite. Amazing work.

dalene said...

Thanks everyone. Sorry I got a bit distracted with the chain of events that ensued and I forgot to be gracious. Also, welcome emmie, gabrielle and sarah. I'm pleased to meet you!