Sunday, July 09, 2006

For CJane: When life gives you lemons...

It seems a bit audacious to post a recipe when you all have this and this to browse through for your culinary pleasures. But here it is...

Sour Cream Lemon Pie

9-inch baked pie shell or cookie crust (I usually do a gingersnap or 1/2 graham cracker 1/2 gingersnap crust)

1 c. milk
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/4-1/3 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon peel
1/4 c. butter, cut up
1 c. sour cream


Stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk. Add egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon peel. Whisk together till smooth. Slowly bring just to a boil over just under medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter till melted. Cool to room temperature, then stir in sour cream. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours. Top with fresh whipped cream and serve.


(I would give credit where credit is due, but this is combination of several recipes. I got my start from the version in the "A Taste of Oregon" cookbook.)

Enjoy!

11 comments:

LuckyRedHen said...

LOVE your LEMONS!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Lemon pie sans merengue, is my absolute favorite confection in the whole World!

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Merci mon amie!

JandB said...

wow, i think this recipe is easy enough that i could even make it! maybe i'll try this sunday, the boyfriend is coming up to idaho so i need to try and impress him. hopefully i fool him into thinking that i can actually cook!

La Yen said...

Curse you. On South Beach Diet. Faint from lack of sugar. Will make in four weeks when can have sugar again.

dalene said...

becks--Methought I saw you with a man hunk-a-burning love. Methought I heard your mama get quite excited about this nice boy who volunteers to drive his cars to Idaho just so he can see you.

Keep me posted...


Re: lack of sugar. I once had someone ask me for my sour cream lemon pie recipe, then ask for suggestions on how to make it sugar free. I will make it low(er) fat (1% milk, low-fat--never no-fat sour cream) but I refused to give him the recipe at all once I knew he intended to violate it with sugar substitute.

La Yen said...

I wholeheartedly agree. There is no point to eating something sweet if it is not actually sugar. Just like, if I am going to have a cookie or cake, it is going to be chocolate. Why waste my mouth, I say.

Melody said...

I can't believe you are sharing this with anyone and everyone! Dalene, you are the epitome of generosity and grace. Then again, this pie is the pie that can heal all maladies and generate world peace if only we could distribute it to the right places at the right time! So maybe it's the right thing to do. You are a Goddess!

Lorien said...

but I don't want to learn how to fish, I just want THE FISH!!!!! I haven't tasted a dalene pie for so long. We need pie and flan night!

Geo said...

I might put Candida on the line for this one.

What am I saying? "Might"? What a joke. Considering I just made an undercover visit to Eliane's and woofed down a tart AND a pain du chocolat, of course I would compromise my health for World Peace Pie.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Just found this recipe...wish I had found it BEFORE Thanksgiving! Mine this year had a good flavor but too runny. Any advice?
:)