Thursday, February 23, 2006

My name is Dalene and...

(Disclaimer: So sorry Julie, for this blatant rip-off. I don't intend to plagiarize, but there are no other words.)

I live in the land of sobriety (or at least a semblance of), but I need to talk about addiction. Currently I am addicted to blogging. Usually I am too busy to while away this much time in the land of blog, but I am sick and my house is a wreck--a downright DCFS-worthy wreck--and this beats soap operas and bon bons hands down. Other addictions I deal with include quilting, fabric shopping and getting lost in a good book. I have also done e-Bay, but thankfully I'm recovered from that.

Mirriam (or was it Webster?) defines addiction as "the compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal." Granted I'm using the term "substance" a little loosely, but I think I've got "compulsive" down pat. I'm not brave enough to even consider withdrawal, however, I'm sure there would be well-defined symptoms if I did.

I don't want to minimize real addictions to physically harmful substances, but I think the rest of us are fooling ourselves if we don't admit to our own addictions. We manifest those subtle symptoms of avoidance behavior and self-medication--which can be just as mind-altering--in a number of ways. Like the secret bowl of shrimp salad in "The Ladies Auxiliary," we've each got some guilty pleasure that we devote a little too much time and energy to and that we would be unwilling to give up cold turkey.

The stress of taking care of four children, one husband, four cockatiels, one rabbit, a bearded dragon and a beta fish (not to mention four houseplants in various stages of demise), and a four-bedroom home--in addition to trying to appear competent at my job while working with a bunch of computer literate kids half my age and still attempting, on occasion, to make a difference in the world--has become a bit overwhelming. Who is going to take care of me? So I self-medicate in blog therapy, mostly because I don't have the energy (or the money) for some really good retail therapy. Am I a bad person?

So, I'm calling a good old session of BA...Blogaholics Anonymous. But any sort of "holic" is welcome. Now is your chance to come out or come clean or whatever. What mind-altering therapies do you subscribe to when your life just gets to be a little too much?

8 comments:

Lyle said...

We love you Dalene.

I guess it's my turn then to step up in front of the BA group and admit that I too, am addicted to blogging. I cringe at thought of not having access to the internet for an extended period of time (like more than the 6-7 hours of sleep that I get.) At least I have not reached the stage of waking up in the middle of the night to sneak in some blogging while the rest of the family sleeps.

My other confession, related to this subject is that the blogging desire does not stop with just me. I've tried to get the rest of my family to put down the phonics and get hooked on blogging. They do not beleive that resistance is futile.

Whew! Now that I've got that off my chest, I think I'll go check out Julie's blog.

dalene said...

Yes, if I were smart enough I would've posted a link to Julie's blog. As it is, I'll just have to leave the address: biffytalk.blogspot.com

I love that "put down the phonics and get hooked on blogging." My 16-year-old started a blog, but lost interest. I was sad because I thought it would be a great way for me to peek inside his head.

Although I have been known to blog in my sleep, my best writing happens in the shower. Sadly, most of it has escaped my little brain before I can put it to paper or keyboard.

~j. said...

I blog in my sleep. I've also been known to check for comments in the middle of the night. What is wrong with me?!

As far as other therapies...I love to be social, and getting together with other people (that don't necessarily live in my house) can be very theraputic for me. Or, just going to the mall to sit and people-watch. I don't know why I like to do this. It's actually a little freaky, when I think about it.

Loud music is my stand-by. I escape to my youth and pretend I will be a rock star when I grow up.

I know that those are not necessarily addictions, but at this point, I'll focus on the cure rather than the ailment. :)

Sister Pottymouth said...

Books and blogging for me. I think I go in cycles, however. I always love to read others' blogs and the ensuing comments, but I haven't written in a while because my brain feels befuddled and foggy. I can't think of a thing to write about! (Suggestions are welcome.) I might be coming up with an idea here soon, though, so don't despair.

Books are also my escape. I can get lost completely in a book and come back feeling refreshed. Then reality hits and I feel guilty for neglecting my house, my children, and my husband for the hours that I was away. But I can't leave it alone, and I don't think it's an unhealthy addiction, as long as I don't go overboard.

Oh--and I don't mind the "plagiarism." It took me several readings of your first paragraph before I realized you were referring to the title of my last blog. (I told you I was in a fog!) It's too good of a line to not use for this blog.

Lesleigh said...

I don't think I can say I belong to BA. I don't think I've written a blog in two months now! I need to write a new one but can't figure out what to write about that wouldn't make me sound angry, depressed or mean!

As far as "addictions" I'd have to say reading, Diet Coke, and planning.

I'm like Julie. When I read everything is forgotten. Meals, kids, wash, bedtime, etc. At least my kids are old enough now they can get their own if I get too caught up in a book!!

Diet Coke...not much to say there. I've tried to quit many times. But sometimes (even late at night) I'll crave an ice cold 32oz Diet Coke. Mmmmmm.

Planning. I LOVE to plan. I love to write things down and see it all on paper. When I go on a trip I'll plan out everything hour by hour. It's all about control I guess-which I've been told I have issues with. But it's my addiction. I write out and plan everything I do! Months, weeks in advance. And then I'll sit and look at the paper and feel so peaceful. Ahhhh.

Ok, after writing this down I realize I DO have issues and I'm really thirsty!

dalene said...

~j: Sweet Home Alabama, full volume. It's almost as effective as a good old primal scream.

Julie: I'm still waiting for your take on the well-hung bumper adornments spotted during last-month's enrichment activity. I still wish I'd been a fly on the roof of the car full of women after that experience.

Lesleigh: Write what you know. So what if you sound angry, depressed or mean? It is what it is and maybe you'll feel better if you let some of it out. (Just make sure your Diet Coke is in hand before you start.)

Bek said...

Diet Coke and celebrity gossip.

I guess I am not addicted to celebrity gossip (well, maybe) but nothing gives me a pick me up like reading about the nutso things they do. It is like the first reality TV. I don't read it because I want to be them, or even envy them. I read it because yes, I want to know who Halle Berry is dating and yes, I care about what Lindsay Lohan is eating (or not eating). It is fun and light and pointless. I guess technically most of it isn't gossip, it is REPORTING...these are important things here. Grammy dresses, break ups (Heather Locklear and Ritchie Sambora? Really?), and I ALWAYS get a chuckle from Tom Cruise.

Every week I carefully plan out my People magazine time. It has to be quiet, with a big Diet Coke. I ready every book review, every letter to the editor, EVERYTHING. It is a little piece of heaven. No, I am not embarassed or think that there is anything wrong with it. It is kind of like people watching.......kind of. I am sure that there is a group of people that think reading things like Vanity Fair and People is against the church or at least against good taste. That is ok. I won't hold them down and pour a Diet Coke down their throat and make them hear about who Jessica Simpson is dating. I don't really care. :-)
I like blogging too. It is like a "real people" version of People magazine. Each blog is like a book that is still unfolding. Who will they date? What will they name the baby? Will the birth mom change her mind? etc.

dalene said...

Ah, People. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, too. My film-major brother used to live with us and I would sneak looks at his Entertainment Weekly on a regular basis. But now that I spend an hour once a week in the Allergy and Asthma Clinic I have stepped up to People or O.

It's never that I'm jealous. Well, except once. There was a photo of Jennifer Aniston in the foyer of some swanky hotel and I thought, "Hey, I'd like to be special enough to stay in a swanky hotel."

But most usually it's to say, "Hey, and I think I've got problems. Whew!"