Monday, January 08, 2007

We could talk or not talk forever, and still find things to not talk about

Shamelessly stealing from the too long and too irrelevant survey by the Daily Herald, I want to do my own poll on your picks for "Best of Utah Valley"
You can particpate even if you don't live here. You can participate even if you've never been here. (If you live in the Northwest you can tell me where to find the best of whatever in your neighborhood. I could potentially find myself in Portland sometime, desperate for a good pedicure, you know.) Have at it!
Disclaimer: I have also shamelessly tried to sway your votes in just a few categories. I make no apologies, but please forgive.

Best of Utah Valley

People to know:
Best local artist
Best local painter
Best local illustrator
Best local poet
Best local photographer
Most famous B-list or lower celeb
Best has-been
Favorite woman to watch
Best local recording artist or garage band
Person most likely to bump into a celeb (people who used to live here count)
Best wedding cake designer
Best person to be seen with


Places to be:
Best-looking historic building
Best-looking modern building
Best place for a picnic
Best campground
Best park and/or playground
Most under-appreciated tourist attraction
Best place to make out
Best one-night getaway
Best winter day trip
Best summer day trip
Best place to see a movie
Best live theater
Best music venue
Best gym
Best skiing or snowboarding
Best pool
Best place to play pool (or go bowling)
Best place to be seen
Best second-hand store
Best comedy club
Best art gallery
Best place to get a good education


Places to eat:
Appertizers
Breads and rolls
Pastries
Asian Food
Chocolate
Chips and Salsa
Mexican Food
Indian Food
French Fries and/or onion rings
Shakes
Fry Sauce
Hamburger
Thai Food
Pizza
Italian Food
Soups/Salads
Best place to take the whole family
Best place for just you and a date
Best steak
Best deal for a good meal
Best reason to splurge
Smoothie and/or ice cream


Services:
For you:
Cut and color
Manicure
Pedicure
Massage
Wax

For your car or Harley:
Lube and Oil
Tires
Car Wash
Gas
Repair

For your house:
Window washing
Carpet Cleaning
House cleaning

Places to shop:
Books
Clothes for men
Clother for women
Clothes for kids
Music
Shoes and/or accessories
Fabric, crafts and/or quilting
Home Improvement
Jewelry
Groceries
Home Decor
Nursery


Did I miss anything?

16 comments:

Lyle said...

People to Know-
Best Local Artist: Mark Allen
Best Person to be seen with: My wife

Place to be-
Best looking historic building: Provo Library
Best Campground: Mirror Lake
Best summer day trip: Mirror Lake
Best live theater: Hale Center

Places to eat-
appetizers: PF Changs
breads/rolls: Macaroni grill
chips and salsa: Mi Ranchito
Hamburger: Apollo Burger
smootie/icecream: Coldstone




more coming later

Lyle said...

People to Know-
Best Local Artist: Mark Allen
Best Person to be seen with: My wife

Place to be-
Best looking historic building: Provo Library
Best Campground: Mirror Lake
Best summer day trip: Mirror Lake
Best live theater: Hale Center

Places to eat-
appetizers: PF Changs
breads/rolls: Macaroni grill
chips and salsa: Mi Ranchito
Hamburger: Apollo Burger
smootie/icecream: Coldstone




more coming later

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I'd say best chips and salsa is El Azteca.

Best place to be seen: Cafe Rio

Best Sushi: Happy Sumo

I could be here all day...

b. said...

I agree with cjane on the El Azteca. Although, anybody who has had my salsa says IT is the best they've ever had. I'm just sayin'.
For an overnighter-I enjoyed the Homestead. We took the whole family, swam in the crater,then my husband and I got his and hers massages.
Lucky's house for jewelry.
Diamond Grill in Salem is a GREAT place for fry sauce, hamburgers, and fries.
I like your not-so-subtle-hints and I agree.

Tiffany UnTwisted said...

well, I think my art gallery will be the best, but unfortunately, it will be in salt lake :( ... can I get honorable mention?

QueenScarlett said...

Best place to make out - when I was at the Y - elevators

Best comedy... at the Y I loved the garrens

Best education.. BYU Newsroom with Dean Paynter

Best INDIAN - BOMBAY HOUSE (better than any I've tried in the Bay Area/Sac area)

Bread: Love Great Harvest

Chocolate - Godiva, Lindt... anything European and DARK.

Hamburger - I know this is not in Utah Valley but In-N-Out... that's the only burger I can eat.

Sandwiches - Gandalfos NY Deli style ...or whatever it's called - it was across the street from Los Hermanos and down in the basement of that bldg.

Oh...and is Osteria still there? I liked that for Italian.

Best Steak - Ruth's Chris (do they have that in Utah?)

Best Stone Massage - Sundance Spa

Best Brazillian Wax - Plum Spa in San Jose (downtown)

dalene said...

Tiff-fay-fay--you bet! If you'd post pictures of your art (which I'm excited to see) you'd even get my vote for best artist!

luckyzmom said...

Photographer=Lucky
Italian=Carrabas'
Seafood=Jo's Crab Shack

dalene said...

Ha! I deliberately did NOT put seafood on the list because my experience is when you are landlocked there is no such thing as good seafood!

dalene said...

So my list proved too long even for me.

Still would LOVE a recommendation for a great (and sterile) pedicure! And anything else you want to throw out there into the cyberworld...

~j. said...

I agree: no seafood when you're farther than a day's drive from the ocean.

"We both like soup."

sue-donym said...

"and snow peas"

"sounds like a macadamia nut"

luckyzmom said...

I had the same feeling about seafood having grown up in Ivar country(Seattle) and a Dad who commercially fished for salmon. Then I had coconut shrimp at Jo's Crabshack three or more times.

I have had some of the most delish seafood in many landlocked states, which I wouldn't have had had I remained a seafood snob!

dalene said...

Good to know! I was never so lucky at Joe's and they recently closed this one, however Market Street Grill in Salt Lake has a decent crab. The only time I ever loved lobster was when a woman from Maine flew some in to us.

I've learned never to say I don't like something until I've tried it fresh and done right--always HATED tarter sauce till I had it at Sundance. There I found it to be DIVINE.

dalene said...

And of course I meant TartAr sauce. I was having a terrible time with typos on Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here thecompulsivewriter.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Let me present you with one fact here. Research indicates that nearly 90% of all U.S. adults are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.