Thursday, June 08, 2006

Georgia on my mind



Serendipity!


Trying all day to find the right words to thank Georgia...

For her lovely visit. (After all, she wrote a poem.)

For teaching me at dusk to enjoy the honeysuckers by my doorway.

For sharing a part of her story with me.

For being a beautiful person.

For a wonderful book with a beautiful message. (Which, unbeknownst to her, connected me to my great great grandmother and reminded me to be a better person.)

For being a friend before we ever met.

For the anticipation of a future exchange--honeysuckle for scented geranium. Mmmmmmmmm.


But everything I write sounds schmaltzy.


Spontaneously, I drop by Reams--I rarely shop at Reams--to pick up a couple of things. At the checkout counter, I recognize the song softly playing over the loudspeaker:

"Georgia on my mind."


Thanks Geo.

11 comments:

Geo said...

Schmaltz goes great with figs.

Thanks yourself, and I am inclined to give you what may be the highest compliment in my repertoire: You're the real deal.

I've decided that instead of the master gardening class or free Welsh lessons this fall I should try to persuade you to teach me the fine art of graciousness and conversation, since you are obviously a Jedi Master of Friendliness. How about it?

(Now who's schmaltzy?)

LuckyRedHen said...

Awe. Ain't y'all schweet?!

dalene said...

Geo: Why thank you. But want to know what's funny? I was trying to think of one word to sum up my experience and also why I was drawn to you and that was it exactly: REAL

(But I'm still thinking you'd love the master gardener class.)

Geo said...

c.w.: I have an important question for you: Do you have a RECORD PLAYER?

Sister Pottymouth said...

From personal experience, I, too, can attest that c.w. is as REAL as you can get. That's why I love her.

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I think I need to read geo's blog more often, especially after reading her link to nie-nie's blog.

Geo said...

Julie, do you know you're the only person on Blogger to list macramé bracelets and loom hats as interests? Also, I think you're drawn to me now because of somebody else's poop. How should I feel about that?

dalene said...

Geo--Serendipity strikes again. I haven't had a record player for ages, but I just inherited my grandparents.' I haven't checked it out yet to see if it works, but I don't know why it wouldn't. Why do you ask?

dalene said...

Oh and good point carrot jello. I obviously need to get these two together!

Sister Pottymouth said...

Geo--yes, I have strange interests. But I have good taste in friends, as you can attest (having met c.w.). When are the kindred spirits getting together for the next seance?

Sister Pottymouth said...

And is Dalene going to be our medium?

Geo said...

julie: Nothing medium about c.w.--she's definitely on HIGH.

I grew up with a macramé mother, so I can appreciate such stuff in my way.

I think a spirit reunion is in order in the near future.

c.w.: Give your granny's Victrola a trial run and let me know if you're wired for lp's. You'll see.