Monday, April 10, 2006

That 70s hair

Is this déjà vu or a bad flashback? I feel like I'm caught in a time warp back to the 70s. The hair is the same. I think the 70s was when the term "bad hair day" originated--only it was a bad hair decade.

(Here is same son when he had eyes. Note the beater car--also from the 70s--in the background. January 2006 Heap of the Month at Provo High. We're so proud.)

The clothes are the same--except that we showed a little less skin and a lot less underwear. Just last month my daughter borrowed a pair of gauchos to wear at my friend's reception--that's one clothing item I truly never thought I'd see resurrected. Wrong again. (Disclaimer: Yeah, I know most all of you were mere babes in the 70s and were spared some of its worst fashion faux pas. But trust me on this one, OK?)

The music is the same. It seems in decades redux past you had to suffer through remakes of old music. But now the original versions are in. I will never forget the look on my 15-year-old's face when he wanted to download some U2 and I asked why download it when he could just get it off my CD. "You know who U2 is?" Better yet. "You have their CD?" Complete shock (but it bumped me up to "cool mom" status for all of about 15 seconds). Slightly more impressed than when he discovered my Lynyrd Skynyrd, but definitely right up there with, "You know the words to 'Stairway to Heaven'?"

I will have to admit that this time around there are some improvements: i-Pod beats 8-track both for bulk (or lack thereof) and sound quality. IM-ing is much more convenient than lying on your bed with a phone cord wrapped around you for hours at a time ("What's a phone cord, Mom?").

My question is this: The 70s weren't that great the first time around, so what's the attraction toward revisiting them?

4 comments:

Lorien said...

Odd phenomenon, isn't it? But I do remember much of the style in the 80s harkening back to the 50s. So maybe there's a rule of 30 or something. I never thought velour would make it back. The one thing I can't take, though, is polyester. Not polyester in a nice blend--that can be quite nice in certain textiles--but that thick, textury, drapey stuff. Ugh. Hate it. And it's not just the look and feel. I can smell it, too.

Sister Pottymouth said...

I remember gauchos! I even remember wanting a pair. Of course, as seems to be my pattern, by the time I wanted them they were already going out of style. Same thing happened with leg warmers. I'm with Lorien: that thick polyester stuff is just gross.

I'm really hoping that Alex doesn't notice Luke's hair. I gave Alex a haircut a week ago and he's still resentful. I told him if he doesn't like how I cut his hair, he can start paying for his own haircut with his own money. (I really hope that doesn't backfire on me.) Maybe by the time he reaches H.S. the long hair thing for boys will be gone.

Lyle said...

My Kindergarten class picture: Plaid shirt and rust colored, polyester, bell-bottomed pants. I was too young to know how cool I looked.

Compulsive and Julie- My dad always threatened me when my hair started getting long. "You can have your mother cut it, or I will cut it." (Of course my reasons for not wanting the hair cut was not a sytlistic statement, it was a fear of the clippers...and the cowlick in the front did not help any.)

dalene said...

I agree--thick polyester is a bad thing.

And Julie--it's not just Luke--have you noticed the entire Priests' Quorum (except for Christopher, but then he just came in). Hair is not one of the battles I choose to fight so I just let it go. I figure there are worse ways to express yourself. I just think Luke would be shocked to see that he could've walked right out of my old yearbook from Junction City High. Hmmm...there's an idea. Maybe if I showed the yearbook to him it would scare him right into giving Corrine a call.

Zack (second son in the first-day-of-school photo) is a smart kid. He learned that if he gets shaggy enough someone in the ward will bribe him mightily to cut his hair for him. Last time he scored a free hair cut and a super sized Frosty at Wendy's. That's the enterprising spirit that's going to set me up nicely in my old age, don't you think?