Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The play's the thing...

I'm so excited. My entire family is going to see Arsenic and Old Lace tomorrow night (Thanks for the tickets, Mom)! Why am I excited? Perhaps if you have not yet experienced the joy of having two teenage boys, you might not get it. But the fact that we are all going together is a huge deal. Given all they know about the play is that it's about a couple of old women and they just have my word on the fact that it is supposed to be funny--a monumentally huge deal! How did I bribe my teenagers to join us? In addition to the usual threats, they were a little bit influenced by the fact that one of their favorite (Thanks Brother Hess!) seminary teachers is in the play. Cool.

This is also one of the things I really like about living in Provo. You do have access to some good cultural experiences here and in Salt Lake City--not just for yourself, but also to entertain and enlighten your kids.

I didn't get exposed to a lot of theater where I grew up. It might have been more due to the logistics of taking six kids to the theater than living in Eugene, Oregon. My cultural experiences as a child consisted more of Saturday's Market than of Shakespeare, but I'm not complaining. Somehow, mostly due to a great time at Ashland and a wonderful English teacher my junior year, I grew up with a love of the bard and I truly believe the play's the thing.

Of course I've seen Les Mis and Phantom when they came to town. And one of my best ever theater experiences--Macbeth--at the wonderful Utah Shakespearean Festival. But I have of late--and mostly thanks to a friend who is quite involved in the local theater scene (Thanks Julie!)--fallen in love with local theater as well.

My two oldest got exposure early on, thanks to my theater major brother (did I mention how much I love comp tickets?). Their most notable introduction to Shakespeare was front row seats to the rather violent Macbeth, which was performed at the Castle Theatre in Provo. It's always more fun if you know one of the performers. My boys were into the swordplay, but we left at intermission because 1). it was way past their bedtimes and 2). they had already far exceeded the acceptable norm for body count in one night.

Most recently we saw A Christmas Carol at Hale Center Theater in Orem. This is always well done at Hale (who, I might add, also did an amazing job with "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"), but was much more fun the year before when my second son got whacked on the leg by the ghost of Marley's chains as he exited one scene. An experience like that really puts the live in live theater.

Another great local venue is Provo Theater Company. It was the best homework I ever had when I had to accompany my oldest son to see Forever Plaid for one of those lovely "cultural assignments" that kids hate but parents who want their kids to grow up literate and with good taste love. It was great fun.

So, I'll post a review in the comment section afterwards, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. BYU has some great talent in their department. Some of my favorites in the past have been "The Taming of the Shrew," "Othello," "King Lear," "The Importance of Being Earnest," a fabulously dark "Long Day's Journey Into Night" (decades ago) and "Wait Until Dark."

I suggest if you haven't yet sampled some of the local fare you buddy up with your closest thespian and beg for comp tickets (if you have a budget like mine) or pony up at the nearest box office. It will be money and time well spent. And--at least I'm hoping in my case--someday your kids will thank you for it.

11 comments:

cabesh said...

I love, love, love Arsenic & Old Lace. What a play!

The Saturday Market (aka "Hippie Fair) and Shakepeare Festival links made me a little homesick--good ol' Oregon!

Enjoy your play...I have a feeling there may be some new common sayings thrown around your house after seeing it.:)

LuckyRedHen said...

Speaking of the "arts", are you going to the HMQS (quilt) show this weekend at the Southtowne Expo Center? We're going about 3pm on Friday (closes at 5:30pm). We went last year and the quilts on display were awesome!

dalene said...

Hey you two--did you notice how we all have the same templates? Great minds must think alike...

cabesh: I am so homesick for Oregon I can hardly breathe sometimes. (Mostly from August till March--with brief breaks in between during a good snowstorm.) I'm glad to have grown up under the influence of Hippie Land, USA. None of the hipness rubbed off, but a little bit of the free spirit concept did. Although I was too responsible to be much of one myself, I am happy to subscribe (to an extent) to the philosophy of "free range children" and I secretly enjoy it when my kids display a little bit of rebelliousness--within reason, of course.

imsewfunny: I will miss this year's HMQS, but my quilter (the one who did the spring quilt, in fact) won awards there the last two years in a row. Her name is Janet Carpenter and she's wonderful. I hope you have a great time.

And speaking more of the arts, I have to admit that I was in art heaven yesterday at my new eye doctor's office. Apparently he's quite an art collector--which a penchant for James Christensen. He has dozens of canvases and prints, including the canvas of my favorite "The Widow's Mite." I couldn't get enough of it in--at least until they dialated my eyes.

~j. said...

I've gone to two shows in the past few months, both directed by the jolly porter, and they were very enjoyable. One was at the Black Box Theatre at UVSC (so named, I assume, because to accurately describe the theater would be to utter the words, "Black Box"), and more recently at the Provo Theatre Company, which I had never been to. Very good entertainment. I join you in endorsing the local theah-taaaah.

Geo said...

This production should be terrific as both of the old ladies are played by two of BYU's grand dames. Barta Heiner is wonderful--I actually had an acting class with her eons ago--and Janet Swenson is an institution. I want to go see that play too! Lucky to get in free . . . !

La Yen said...

The last thing that I saw in Provo was a Hale Center production of Pirates of Penzance. It was in the round, which was not so good, but our realtor was in it, which was surprisingly good. My favorite thing about it was that they choreographed the entire thing DIRECTLY from the Kevin Kline movie, which I have watched about a buzillion times, so I got to tap it out with my feet. I also smuggled in candy. That was a good time!

cabesh said...

Geo--too funny! I didn't even recognize Barta in the picture. We were in the same ward for five years. She's great!

Lyle said...

Ahhh the memories.... My wife and I once had season tickets, season ticket to the Hale Center Theater. It was a great year. We even snuck in a show or two from the Black box and one of BYU's many theaters. But alas, I am ashamed to admit it has been too long since I saw my last live performance.

Arsenic and Old Lace is a classic and favorite. Utah puts on a lot more shows than West Texas.

Lyle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dalene said...

jman--we must have just missed each other. I left (reluctantly I might add) Stras in about January or February of '87 (and you obviously have a much better memory than I because the only address I remember was my first--in Herstal). As for dinner with Thierry--I don't remember anything but the caviar and the chocolate mousse--first and only caviar and still the best mousse au chocolat ever. Seriously.

But, speaking of food and Stras...do you know what I would give for another round of raclette and a good tarte flambé?

dalene said...

I'm happy to report--the grande dames were both fabulous! The set was gorgeous and the teenagers even survived a couple of hours without their i-Pods attached to their heads. In fact, I even caught them laughing out loud several times. I would say that that speaks volumes more than any review, except given the usual standards of entertainment that amuse 15-year-old boys that might not be saying much.

Grab your spouse, significant other and kids over six or a couple of friends and head down to the Pardoe--you'll just die laughing!