Thursday, February 15, 2018

grapefruit

The best posts I read about fruit are metaphorical rather than literal, but the truth is I love grapefruit.

Instead of buying soda, I sometimes splurge and purchase the rather expensive fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice available sometimes at Macey's.

I work really hard not to see again that time I was there while the Macey's employee was pushing fresh citrus down the machine.

Did he wash it first? (I always wash my produce before I cut into it.)

Did he wash his hands???

The other day I stopped at the El Salvadoran restaurant on my way home from seeing The Post--by myself (the restaurant, not the movie, where I was met by a friend) and ordered their steak and fries because I knew the steak is marinated in grapefruit juice.

(I keep mistyping grapefruit.)

Even though I like it so very much, I rarely buy grapefruit.

Is it because the best grapefruit are sold at Sam's and I only have a Costco membership?

Am I lazy?

It takes time to loosen the flesh from the membrane and then scoop it out.

It's messy.

Ha! Life is messy.

And then you have to squeeze the dismembered--is cutting out the flesh dismembering? Disemboweled? I'd better stop two sentences ago--rind hard to extract all the tart juice.

In any case, I do love grapefruit.

I should enjoy it more often.

No comments: