Saturday, September 30, 2006

For Carina: It's a great day when...

...you're having trouble remembering just who it was who wrote Frankenstein and your 15-year-old son pops out, "Mary Shelley." (Now that is something the English major in you can really be proud of.)

...you take second place in the Provo High Marching Band Chili Cook-Off with something you threw together spur of the moment.

...your youngest comes to you and tells you, "Mommy, L~ has fat cats in her room." You're picturing something on the order of Garfield and wondering how something like that got into your house when what you discover instead is this:






(gee, why didn't I ever think of installing bowling alleys in my bedroom?)

...you read in the ward newsletter that one of your favorite people--becks--just got engaged. CONGRATS becks!

...your 15-year-old son who constantly tells you he'd like to go live with another family says this after spending two weeks with said family (who, by the way, spontaneously took him to DISNEYLAND [where of course he bumped into your friend Lorien] for a weekend while you were gone) while you were out of the country--after you have teased him about wishing he were a Duerden: "It's good to be home. I'm happy to be a Rowley."


...and finally, and most definitely the VERY BEST:


...you hear the following (from your 17-year-old [and therefore teenage] MALE offspring) over the phone when you're half a world away:

"Homecoming was great. But I am SO tired. It was SO hard to not have you here! I missed you so much. I never realized how much you do for me. And I always take it all for granted. And I never say thank you. I'm so SORRY. You do SO much for me. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING!"



(this just in: I have just added the photos to my previous posts from Finland. More to come--Five Fabulous Fun-Filled Days in Helsinki--soon!)

13 comments:

Carina said...

Yay! A little props around the house!

Luke said...

You will never know how much it makes me smile when i read that i was the VERY BEST part of your great day! I love you!

b. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dalene said...

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you, said 17-year-old son, Luke (above).

Luke honey, that wasn't just the very best part of my day, that was one of the very best parts of my entire LIFE!

Lyle said...

I wanna go to Fat Cats.

Way to go Luke

Millie said...

We might be related to you. Hubby's grandma is a Rowley by birth.

My hat's off to you for acknowledging all your great blessings. Way to be!

Melody said...

Life is good. So glad you're home!

And about that Luke: Yep, it's all true. And this won't be the last time in his life that he wishes his mother were there when he needs her.

b. said...

Uggh! I just read that I put Chile instead of Chili.....I don't even know if you've ever even BEEN to Chile!! Congratulations on the CHILI and on achieving renewed popularity with your kids, I'm planning a trip STAT!

Melody said...

P.S. Looovvee the photos from Finlandia!

Geo said...

Sounds like home is a mighty good place to be these days!

Bedroom bowling . . . how about bathroom bocce?

glo said...

While I see the trouble here...I also think it's PURE genius!

dalene said...

Oh no trouble. I love that she's that creative. I truly never would've put bowling alley + bedroom together. I really can't wait to watch her grow up and see what she does with all that creativity!

JandB said...

i remember one year my brothers and i got real bowling pins and a bowling ball from miracle bowl because my uncle worked there. we would go bowling on the sidewalk, but i wouldn't recommend it now because it kind of beat up the sidewalk. it was a lot fun though!