Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lessons from Mama

During my latest adventure at quilt camp (another blog for another day) one of the speakers was showing a quilt she made for her mom on which she had stitched sayings she and her sister remember hearing from their mother. First I was amused. Then I started to wonder what my kids would contribute if asked for sayings from me. You know, those little philosophy-packed phrases I utter over and over with good intentions to teach them life's all-important lessons, but which only result in causing my kids to roll their eyes and vow to never, ever utter such nonsense to their own kids. I have a feeling a few of the following would be on their lists:

"Be part of the solution, not part of the problem."

"I don't care who started it, I'm more interested in who will finish it!"

"Don't mess with the Queen." A special phrase reserved for when one of my kids actually dares take on the queen eye-roller of the 20th century, namely me. They know they don't stand a chance. But I secretly swell with pride when one of them has the nerve to even attempt.

"So sue me." Read, I'm not budging on this and good luck finding a jury in any county who will side with you. (I know, it sounds totally unsympathetic, but since I'm very much a "choose your battles" kind of gal I don't feel too guilty standing firm when I do put my foot down.)

"I'd rather be an idiot than a jerk." This, of course, is uttered most frequently to a certain testosterone-charged teen-age boy who thinks everyone who doesn't think just like he does is an idiot and doesn't deserve to breathe the same air he does. Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid and I do love him. But I have issues with people who are rigid and who lack compassion. I pray he will grow out of that some day, but I have living relatives who prove that one doesn't always.

"I'm sorry." As a kid I remember being aware that sometimes my parents were wrong and being sooooooo frustrated that they just couldn't admit it. I want my kids to grow up knowing that anybody can be wrong and that I respect them enough to admit it when I am out of line.

"Be good, be happy and have fun!" Practically shouted to kids as they head out the door to go anywhere or do anything. The sequence of these phrases is intentional.

"Have fun stormin' the castle!" Also occasionally heard by kids on their way out the door. From one of the few movies that was far superior to its book form. Other great lines from "Princess Bride" also heard around my house include: "As...you...wish!" "Inconceivable!." "To the pain!" and, something about being only mostly dead.

"Make it a good day!" I want my kids to understand that although they don't always choose what happens to them, they have the power to choose what they make of it.

"So deal." My version of "Life isn't fair." Tough lesson, but that's life. I know people in their 60s who are still playing the victim card and it prohibits them from actually living. I think our kids' lives are going to be much tougher than ours ever were. I hope I'm doing all I can to prepare them to make the most of the good times and be survivors through the rough stuff.

"Bye! Love ya!" On the phone, in the car, or as they are headed out the door. If something ever happened to me this is what I would want them to remember was the last thing I ever said to them.

11 comments:

cabesh said...

My kids are still little, and I already have a list...the most disturbing thing is that several of them are things my mom said, i.e., "You look like nobody takes care of you!" This is preceded by a request to improve your appearance, such as "let's comb your hair", "tie your shoes", etc.

Lorien said...

I always hated when my mom said it:

You are pushing on your arm or some part of your body. "Mom! It hurts when I do this!" Mom watches for a minute, then calmly says "So don't do that."

I hated it then, but now I'm guilty. So sue me.

Sister Pottymouth said...

"Not your job." My most repeated phrase, and mostly directed at my oldest son when he tries to preach at/parent my other sons.

Second-most-repeated phrase: "Who are YOU in charge of?" Also directed mostly at son #1, although son #2 hears it quite frequently as well.

Do you think maybe we have control issues at my house?

Lorien, I think you've inherited your mother's wicked sense of humor. Dalene, I want to live at your house just so I can hear you yell "Have fun storming the castle!" at me as I'm leaving. (An occasional "Bye, love ya!" would be nice too.)

Bek said...

In my house we say "try again" at least eight hundred and fifty million times a day. I picked up a few new phrases from you guys too!!

Anne Coleman said...

Oh how funny! I was halfway through the list thinking I wanted to tell you one of my favorites when the kids are walking out the door is "Have fun stormin' the castle!" Then I read on...

I love that movie and the kids are quickly catching on. DH's favorite phrase lately is "Inconceivable!"

Lyle said...

In addition to what has been said (I think a lot of households have their own variations of many of these phrases y'all have shared) my wife and I often incorporate phrases from just about any kid movie for what ever moment seems most appropriate. I'm sure Princess Bride has been used a time or two.

dalene said...

"The songs of the mothers are echoed in the hum of their daughters."

Julie--unfortunately if you lived at my house you'd also hear a little bit of yelling and an occasional cuss word as well (only from me, NEVER from my husband--the cursing, that is). I will, however, try to give you a good "Bye, love ya!" after church or GNO on of these days.

I got some new ones from you guys too. I think my new favorite will be from Jake Roi: "I brought you into this world and I can take you out."

La Yen said...

Lately W has been calling everyone a "dirty pirate hooker" (from Anchorman.) I will laugh when Jooj says that during elder's quorom.

Lisa said...

Lorien-my mom said it too, now I always do. Drove me NUTS. Good to know I'm carrying on the tradition.

Other classics:

"I'm the mom."
"LIfe isn't fair. The earlier you learn that, the easier life will be."
"So help me child. . ."
"You've GOT to be kidding me. . . "

Claire said...

Loved this post...especially the "storming the castle" part. We say that around here too! There are so many great quotes from Princess Bride...

Lorien said...

"I brought you into this world and I can take you out. And I can make another one that looks just like you!"

"DON'T you roll your eyes at me! I'll roll your eyes out onto the FLOOR!"

Bill Cosby is a great source for good ones.