Thursday, March 16, 2006

In Valley Green or Towering Crag...they're magically delicious!

I love a good holiday. And St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorites. Partly because it's a great occasion to do indulge in two of my favorite pasttimes: Playing with my food and playing dress up. But mostly because it's not one of those holidays that one is required to celebrate. I could ignore it if I wanted, but why not take advantage of another chance to live a day less ordinary. Not to mention the fact that it's a great excuse to partake of one of my favorites, Lucky Charms.

Here are a few traditions at my house.

Some dye their beer green. Since we don't drink beer, we dye our milk green. Breakfast at our house consists of green milk, green eggs (sans the ham--green meat is never a good thing), and green muffins. Lucky Charms taste very good in green milk.

In the tradition of a good Utahn, whip up a big batch of green jello, topped with green whipped cream.

Come up with one more reason to eat sugar cookie dough. And if some of it ends up as cute green shamrocks then great. If not, that's OK too.

Meet the minimum daily requirement for fruits and vegetables all in one meal: green grapes, kiwi, peas, beans, broccoli, asparagus, salad greens, and cabbage--of course. But we'll pass on the brussel sprouts thank you very much.

Pinching. This is a good thing when one is married to Mr. "Best Buns in 501s." Oh, sorry honey. I didn't see your green.

I don't get the whole corned beef thing, but this year I am going to surprise my husband with some. I have a feeling he might be eating the whole thing by himself, but at least this year he won't have to go looking for it in some other woman's kitchen.

As with most of our family traditions, sometimes I wonder it if is really worth all the effort to entertain my kids. Last night I realized that indeed it is. As his brother was rounding up all the food coloring in the house for a geology project (now the maple syrup is blue), my six-year-old became quite concerned that I put aside enough green food coloring for St. Patrick's Day. She shoots. She scores!

Oh, and did I mention how much I like Lucky Charms?

Luck o' the Irish to you!

8 comments:

Sister Pottymouth said...

I want to see you all dressed up! What fun things are you wearing?

"Best buns in 501s" conjures up a whole new image of Shane that I'm not sure I wanted. (hee hee)

Luck of the Irish be yours today!

Sister Pottymouth said...

P.S. It's Shannon's birthday today.

Lyle said...

Not only did my wife and I pick the perfect day to get married...celebrating #11 today...we got to eat green pancakes for breakfast and it's a great day for pinches.

Long Live the Irish!

~j. said...

I got engaged on St. Patrick's Day.

That's all. Nothing witty to say.

Lorien said...

Top o' the marnin! That's how I answer the phone on the 17th. We have green milk, too. But I always forget about lucky charms. Next year that must change! Next holiday? April 1. Guy's favorite. Time to start the preparations...

dalene said...

Julie: The dressing up got boring now that I have to at least appear to be somewhat professional. I try to have fun with socks, though.

Lyle and ~J: I think you're both pretty smart to invite a little luck into your married lives by taking such big steps in your respective lives on St. Paddy's Day.

Lo: I'm right with you on April 1. Which, and not surprisingly, is Shane's birthday. He's such a prankster, it's very difficult to pull one over on him. We'll have to put our heads together.

And as for the Lucky Charms, last year I went to buy them at Macey's the day before and they were over $5 a box! I promptly wrote a polite but firm--with tongue planted firmly in cheek, of course--letter to the manager and told him he was unpatriotic and that in the future he should mark down the Lucky Charms along with the broccoli and asparagus and corned beef and cabbage. This year I got two boxes for $5.

Lorien said...

Now that's an important issue you tackled! Your community activism continues to amaze me.

dalene said...

I told you I was trying to change the world. What better place to start than with a pressing and significant issue right here at the neighborhood Maceys?

Did you know I am also partially responsible for the Provo Macey's finally acquiring those cute but impossible to drive kiddie car carts?

You're quite welcome.