Friday, January 20, 2006

Fine Dining

A friend of mine was just blogging about the culinary delights found in Heber City and she recounted the experience of eating orgasmic sea bass at the Snake Creek Grille. I realized I've never even tasted regular sea bass, let alone the orgasmic variety. So now I'm curious. Are its arousing qualities inherent in the sea bass itself--dependent on where it was raised, what it was fed or the particular water current patterns in effect during its life span? Or were the specific combination of herbs and spices used in the preparation responsible? Who knows?

I'm trying to recall if I have ever been so delighted by a dinner entree. If so, I doubt it would've been seafood. (Although the halibut at Sundance could become habit-forming were I able to afford to taste it more than one time.) Some people are similarly excited by exquisite chocolate, but even Godiva didn't do it for me.

However, as I try to recall the best meal I've ever had, I realize a combination of fine chocolate and fine seafood probably came the closest. It was a dinner graciously prepared by one Thierry Cabanne. I was living in Strasbourg at the time, so I'm sure ambiance accounted for something. I can't recall the entire menu. All I remember is it was my first (and only) time with caviar and the mousse au chocolat was divine. I've never had better. Sigh...

Did it rival Lorien's sea bass? I don't know. She said she's going back for more some day. I hope it's good for her.

9 comments:

Bek said...

I am NOT a fish lover, but sea bass is on it own level. The best kind used to be Chilean Sea Bass, but now that is in the Endagered Species Watch list. Now, it is just called sea bass. It is good because the meat is firm and it isn't overly fishey.

The last time a meal tasted THAT good was when I went to an obnoxiously expensive Indinan Resturaunt in London a few years ago. The flavors were PERFECT. Second to that is an Italian place here that makes a butternut squash ravioli in brown butter sauce w/ fried sage. Um, yum (I made Oh Judy try it too so she can vouch for me).

Then again, I am a foodie. I waited 5 months for a reservation to French Laundry and when we go to NYC, I spend all my money/time at the new resuraunts I want to try.....I am weird.

Also, I am a proud Wasatch Wasp, from right in Heber!!!!

Lorien said...

I'll just give you this image. It was very nearly "When Harry Met Sally," only I wasn't faking it.

Lyle said...

Y'all are in an entirely bigger league than I am. I love a lot of food but I can't say that I've ever had one of "those" moments. not even creme de cupuaƧu (Brazilian, Amazonian dessert) causes me to reflect with such fondness.

Sister Pottymouth said...

I'll have what she's having....

Lorien said...

hee hee julie. love that.

dalene said...

Bek--jeesh. Just reading the words "butternut squash ravioli in brown butter sauce w/ fried sage" caused me to salivate!

Lorien & Julie--Great minds think alike. The second I read your comment about the sea bass I was so already there.

Lyle--I have a great response, but I am going to choose the high road (don't worry--it wasn't personal, but it was directed at your gender) and refrain. Just know that I really don't feel too sorry for you and I applaud my other readers for enjoying their food so much.

Lyle said...

I graciously bow out of this one. The ladies have it.

dalene said...

Lyle--hope I didn't offend. It's hard to express my intent without giving in to a few puns of questionable taste; but I think you said it best. Let's let the ladies have it--wherever (however?) they can get it.

Lyle said...

While many things can be lost in translation (written word rarely expresses tone very well),no offense taken.