Thursday, August 18, 2005

the joy of reveille

School starts in less than a week and although returning to some semblance of a routine appeals to me, there is one thing I am not looking forward to...getting two teenagers, both teeming with testosterone, out of bed in time for them to arrive at Provo High by 7:30AM.

I am one of those unfortunate mothers cursed by the mixed-up-genes fates, who I imagine take great delight in my situation. First Son, the grumpy one, can't get out of bed (even after knock down drag out battles with his mother) and--being the budding metrosexual he is--requires an exact and exorbitant amount of time in the shower, grooming his hair, chewing his french toast and then brushing his teeth and gargling mouthwash for the requisite 2 minutes! Second Son--the previously (till the hormones took over) cheerful one--can get out of bed and in and out of the shower in a flash and be out the door somewhere between zero and ten minutes, not caring at all about the end results. Of course any other genetic balance of these three traits--disposition, ability to get out of bed, and attention to grooming detail--would've worked better in my favor. To quote Snoopy (or was it Charlie Brown?), as I am often wont to do, "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!"

I frequently remind my husband that getting four--yes, I only have four--children out the door in the morning is like cramming in an eight-hour work day in between the hours of 6:00 and 8:30 a.m. I have a lovely ritual when it's all over, however. I calmly shut the door, fasten the dead-bolt, then--depending on what kind of morning it has been--either let out a long and luxurious sigh as I slide down against the back of the door to the floor, or let out an ear-crushing primal scream. Either makes me feel much better.

10 comments:

M said...

I know how your sons feel. School starts in less than a week, and I wasn't even able to get out of bed before 9:30 for activity card pictures. I should've just stayed in bed for the day and then tried to wake up earlier the next morning.

Lorien said...

I'm worried now that my oldest is nearing those wonderful teen years. He's not there yet, but I can feel the cauldron of bubbling, mixed up emotions starting to simmer. How long until it's a full-rolling boil, threatening to overflow the rim of the pot? And my daughter and your first son should race for slowest-to-get-ready. If I could just focus her creativity and attention on the task at hand...

marlsven- the francis gym is now requiring student ID for admittance. (I really just want to see that picture that I'm sure is very attractive.) Looking forward to your next visit!

Sister Pottymouth said...

School...I salivate over the word like Pavlov's dog! I even liked it when I was young(er). I like it even more now that I am on the parent end of things. I'm just annoyed that they don't start Kindergarten the same time as the rest of the school. What's up with that? How do you explain to your teary-eyed 5-year-old why he can't go to the big school with the other kids that first day?

As for your budding metrosexual, do you know where the hot water shutoff valve is? Tell First Son that, unless he wants to try his hand at being a high tenor in the shower, he has 10 minutes until the water runs cold. Of course, you run the risk of his seeking revenge, but it might be worth it.

dalene said...

So here's a question marlsven. What happens to those select few who blow off activity card pictures altogether (partly out of denial that the end is near and partly in protest--whose silly idea was it to have school pictures before school even starts?)? Are they issued a faceless card or banned from activities until retakes?

M said...

hmmmm, I've often wondered that question myself. I think that the school administration just sends someone to hound you for a photo. But until they get your picture, the only way of them identifying us is the six digit student number they branded onto us our freshman year. Ask Zack about it. It's kinda like a "sorting hat" ritual, but with a hot branding iron.

I don't really know why they do pictures so early. It's pretty stupid. I see my picture later and I think of how young and babyish I look. That doesn't have much to do with pictures being done earlier, but I thought I'd just mention it.

Kactiguy said...

Young and babyish? You looked in the mirror lately? I bet you have a fake school id so you can get into all of the special school events. Pat6t Knarlsven.

dalene said...

I'm not opposed to taking photos early, but at least wait till school actually starts (why drag your sorry behind to school one day earlier than you have to, right?). The advantage of taking them right after school starts is that at least you have a decent tan. (Ever seen the pasty white retakes taken in mid-December?)

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Luke said...

Just remember that cell phone commercial with the two boys and the mother and the phone dude says "and it will only get better..." At least I am working on it and getting better

dalene said...

Dear Luke,

You're doing great. Keep up the good work.

Love,

Mom