Sunday, October 14, 2007

Softly, deftly

So you try directing 700 teenagers from all over the state of Utah and performing in front of a packed house.
Last night I sat on the 4th row of the acoustically perfect Salt Lake Tabernacle to listen to theGrand Festival Concert of the Utah All-State Choir. The choir was directed by the delightful and talented Ann Howard Jones. The kids had spent most all of their fall break rehearsing and it was absolutely fabulous. Hey, even my eight-year-old was interested.
No, this isn’t them, but, see the middle and largest pipe in the set of foremost and largest pipes right of center? Luke stood right below it. I bet he had the best seat in the house when Linda Margetts pulled out all the stops on Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.
Anyway, the concert was amazing. I sat there and thought, Wow! How cool is this that that’s my kid up there having this experience of a lifetime and I get to watch and listen.
So if you enjoy choral and chamber music (I didn’t really know how much I did until I spent the last couple of years as “choir mom” to Luke and a few other of the choir kids), I’m inviting you to attend Provo High’s Fall Sing on Wednesday, October 17, at 7 p.m. in the PHS Auditorium.
Trust me, I would not even mention this if it were going to be lame. These kids are amazing. The chamber choir moves me to tears almost every time. Do come.

No comments: